none
Mandatory Profiles in Windows 10 Anniversary Edition (Start menu issue)

Question

• I've seen this widely reported but no solutions.  By following this technet article, I created a mandatory profile.  In essence, much of the profile works as far as not allowing changes and retaining the desktop configuration; however, the start menu will not even open.  I know that there are limitations on customizing the start menu, but as far as I know, it should still work.  I was told that a similar issue was fixed with this update in September, but that it referred to 1511, not 1607.  

Does anyone else have experience with this issue?  

Thanks

Thursday, March 30, 2017 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please update system to the latest build 14393.970 and follow this guide to check again.

Navigate to Step 7: Optionally specify a mandatory Start layout for Windows 10 PCs.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649079(v=ws.11).aspx

If Start menu still not working, try to restart explorer.exe after login with a 1 line power-shell.

Stop-Process -ProcessName explorer

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:22 AM
  • Hi,

Please update system to the latest build 14393.970 and follow this guide to check again.

Navigate to Step 7: Optionally specify a mandatory Start layout for Windows 10 PCs.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649079(v=ws.11).aspx

If Start menu still not working, try to restart explorer.exe after login with a 1 line power-shell.

Stop-Process -ProcessName explorer

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I have done as you mentioned, and it is still behaving as before - the start menu will not open.  It isn't clear to me if the steps you mentioned above work on a mandatory (.man) profile or if it is just staying that the start menu layout is mandatory.
    Friday, March 31, 2017 7:07 PM