none
Cannot uninstall Office 365 from Hyper-V or VMware virtual machines

Question

• Hi,

When I try to uninstall Office 365 from a Hyper-V or VMware virtual machine, I see a progress window open but it remains at Step 1 of 4 and never progresses. If I wait about 15 minutes into the process and restart the VM, logging in again will sometimes produce a UAC prompt to allow the removal to continue. In this case, Office 365 eventually is removed. Most of the time there is no prompt after a restart and you have to begin again at Programs and Features.

I tried using offscrub.vbs for Office 2016 but that fails. I think offscrub.vbs is for an MSI install only.

Is there any way to accomplish a clean uninstall of Office 365 on a virtual machine?

Thank you!

Rob

Thursday, November 09, 2017 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

Please try to use the easy fix tool mentioned in the following article and check if the Office suite can be uninstalled as expected:

Uninstall Office from a PC

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by robwm1 Friday, November 10, 2017 3:43 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

Please try to use the easy fix tool mentioned in the following article and check if the Office suite can be uninstalled as expected:

Uninstall Office from a PC

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by robwm1 Friday, November 10, 2017 3:43 PM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

The easy fix tool did the trick. Removed it with no problems.

Thank you!

-Rob

Friday, November 10, 2017 3:43 PM
  • Hi Rob,

That's great! You're welcome :)

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:10 AM