Desktop Icon(s) / Mandatory Profile RRS feed

• Question

• My question involves 3 main components:

1: AppV Application 2: Mandatory Profile 3: Folder Redirection

In our current environment we publish our App-V applications to the users start menu.  From there we leave it up to the user to create shortcut where ever they choose. 

We are in the process of piloting a User Profile management tool that will provide folder redirection for us.  Among others we will be redirecting the users desktop.  Also, in conjuction with the profile management testing we are also testing implementing Mandatory Profiles.

My issue is this:  When the user creates a desktop shortcut to an App-V application on the desktop,  and then logs off and back on the shortcut loses it's icon.  The shortcut shows on the desktop as a broken link but still works.  The icon is in the ICON cache and the app is still in the startmenu.  I am 99.99% sure this has to do with the Mandatory Profile.  How can I insure that the icons persist with a Mandatory Profile?

Friday, July 1, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

It would probably be due to the loss of the cached copy of the icon-cache directory and the registry keys maintaining it. You would probably need to ensure that app-vs client information is redricted aswell
    /Znack
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:02 PM
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/f1a638d3-f109-4b49-b195-666ce3eb435b/#86550d18-83c1-4c3a-bb3b-dbde416589a9

As Znack suggests, you can simply try saving down HKCU\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\x.x\Applications keys with your profile management software which may then correctly re-track the icons for you; alternatively I provided a script (updated here: http://code.google.com/p/va-helpers/source/browse/trunk/CheckVAShorts_1_2.vbs) to handle things out of management scope.

• Edited by Sizzl Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:46 AM formatting
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Friday, November 16, 2012 11:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:45 AM
  • In addition to the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid key you'll need to roam the %AppData%\SoftGrid Client folder. Otherwise, force a publishing refresh at next logon.

Have you confirmed that the icon file that the shortcut is using exists?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Thanks for the replys.  These are all good ideas that I need to look into.  I will be unable to test anything for some time but I will and get back to you all

Thanks again,

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:29 PM