none
Tables get cut off in Wiki RRS feed

• Question

• I've used several tables in Wiki articles. Often the table looks fine when I edit, but after saving the right hand edge of the table is cut off. Sometimes I use Width: "600px" and that works. Other times I use Width "95%". However, I cannot get the "Examples" table in this article to show all of the text in the second column:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5392.aspx

Again the table looks fine in edit mode, and the cells even wrap to a second line, but everything I've tried leaves text cut off after I save. I found a forum thread where someone suggested "overflow: scroll;", but that didn't work either. Text seems to word wrap fine, but not tables. Is there a fix? Or do I need to reformat this without using a table?

The table is fine when I print. I'm using IE9 at 1366x768 resolution.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 11:17 PM

Answers

• Rich, do you want to take a first crack at cleaning this up, or shall I?

Then we'll layout a best practice for this... but that might already be in Trace's guide I linked to.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    • Marked as answer by tonysoper_MSFT Monday, November 14, 2011 10:29 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:27 PM
    Owner

All replies

• We definitely need to make a dev pass on refining how tables are formatted in the editor.

Trace created this guide on tables here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/wiki-create-quick-and-basic-tables-using-the-wiki-html-editor.aspx

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:26 PM
    Owner
  • Rich, do you want to take a first crack at cleaning this up, or shall I?

Then we'll layout a best practice for this... but that might already be in Trace's guide I linked to.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by tonysoper_MSFT Monday, November 14, 2011 10:29 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:27 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for looking at this. Something is going on I don't understand, as if the html assumes a page width that is not really available. The table tag I used originally was:

<table border="1" rules="all" frame="box" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="1" width="95%" style="border-collapse: collapse;font-family: 'Courier New';font-size: 11px;color: #262626;">

I think Rich Prescott edited the article and made the borders double. I've tried Width="100%" and Width="600px" (as I recall). I think I just have strings that are too long, although it wraps fine and expands the cells to accomodate. I decided my next try was to attempt to wrap the text myself into 2 or 3 lines per cell as needed (maybe using linefeeds). This would also allow me to have the strings break at better places. For example, instead of:

(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!
    userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))

it would be better as follows:

(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)
    (!userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))

The more I think about it, I will attempt this later tonight or tomorrow. However, perhaps you see what I mean about not all of the full width being available. Several of the other tables I fixed by changing Width="500px" to Width="600px" (as I recall).

Monday, November 14, 2011 11:48 PM
  • I modified the "Examples" table in my Wiki article and got it to look like I want. I inserted <br/> tags where I wanted the text to wrap, and changed the Width to "100%". I think was not using Width correctly. Using <br/> ensures the text is wrapped in places that make more sense. Thanks.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:26 PM