Cleanup WinSxS folder of Windows 7 Sp1 RRS feed

All replies

• Bout time! I always do it manualy, so this saves a step.

tnjman

Friday, October 11, 2013 12:35 AM
  • Could someone confirm this really works?

On every Win7SP1 that I try this method, I only see several hundreds of MB for the "Windows Update Cleanup" option.  But the winsxs folders for these O/S have reached more than 8GB.  How come?

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:30 PM
  • This option cleans only old Update tracks.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:42 PM
  • What is the definition of "old update"?
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Some old files that are left from the installing of the new updates.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:13 PM
  • Some old files that are left from the installing of the new updates.

In other words, not the WinSXS folder.

I have just made a test.  I checked the size of the WinSXS folder.  It's 9.19 GB (9 877 322 038 bytes)

I launched the clean-up tools and checked the size again.  Guess what, I have 9.19 GB (9 877 534 316 bytes)

That means after a clean-up, the size of the WinSXS is increased!

Which software engineer schools have Microsoft engineers had their training and courses?  Do they at least know how to count? LOL

Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:05 AM
  • Horinius - you have to reboot for the clean up to occur. WHen I did, it cleaned up the amount of disk space that the Cleanup manager said, but my winsxs folder had about 8 GB more, most of which is files and folder that at 3+ years old. My theory is that this is garbage that my IT department left behind when they build the standard image.

Anyone know how to delete the rest of the trash in WinSxS?

Friday, August 15, 2014 12:50 AM
  • Horinius - you have to reboot for the clean up to occur. WHen I did, it cleaned up the amount of disk space that the Cleanup manager said, but my winsxs folder had about 8 GB more, most of which is files and folder that at 3+ years old. My theory is that this is garbage that my IT department left behind when they build the standard image.

Anyone know how to delete the rest of the trash in WinSxS?

Of course we have to reboot for the clean up.  Did I say we didn't have to?

If you want to do the "Windows Update cleanup" (as specified in the original post), there's no need to use this "Cleanup manager".  You just need to open "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything inside it.

Please read carefully my posts before commenting.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:37 PM
  • I've got the update installed (confirmed by redownloading it and seeing it display that it's installed) and yet when I click on disk cleanup there is no option for "Windows Update Cleanup."  The winxsx directory has gotten to be over 9 GB and seems to have stuff from the initial installation I did not too long ago (several directories with dates in 2009).

What do I need to do?

I'm running win7 pro 64-bit.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:24 AM
  • I agree with Horinius on this issue. In the past, I have seen "Windows Update Cleanup" run (at boot) several times.

The principle is great but my WinSxS folder remains unbelievably large. It is 9.9GB out of a total "Windows" folder size of 33.5GB. It is approximately 1.2GB bigger than "System32" according to "WinDirStat" (3rd party program).

Using "TreeSizeFree" (3rd party program) these statistics resolve to "Windows" @35GB, "WinSxS" @9.9GB and "System32" @9.9GB.

It does not make sense to me.

I am using Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:38 PM
  • If the so-called Windows Update cleanup means cleanup of WinSXS folder, then it's a lie.
    [snipped]

What do I need to do?

[snipped]

Nothing, because there is no solution... 

• Edited by Horinius Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:59 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:57 PM