404 page when trying to move contents from one library to another one RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to move files from one Library to another one using Site content and structure. when i choose the destination Library i get a 404 error.

i looked into SharePoint logs and found these errors:

SPRequest.GetMetadataForUrl: USERPrincipalName=,AppPrincipalName=,bstrUrl=/sites/RI/FAC*******.pdf,METADATAFLAGS=59

Su=ystem.IO.FileNotFoundException: the system cannot find the file specified . (exception from Hresult:0x80070002),Stacktrace:)

But the files exists. any ideas?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 4:15 PM

All replies

• it seems the issue is with file name which you are trying to move to new library..

Rename the file or download upload it again

Karim... Please remember to mark your question as answered, if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

I tried to upload a new file test.txt and when i try to move it or copy it it goes 404 error but i can delete it.

Any other ideas?

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 1:25 PM
  • We can suspect URL, why because in sharepoint URL has a limitation of 256 characters, and as we know SharePointconsider every document and folder name as part the URL, you can check the URL by right click and choosing the properties,  If the path length exceed 256 characters SharePoint will allow to delete or move that document

Try to upload the same document in root sites library and delete it, if it happens smoothly? it means the issue with URL.. Reduce length of folders,files names

Karim... Please remember to mark your question as answered, if this solves your problem.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 4:27 PM
  • I checked the URL Length of the files and it is 84 for all of them. So i don't think it is a URL Issue. Trying to reupload the document doesn't change anything to the issue. I still can't move or copy document between libraries (but deletion works fine).

In my Dev Env i don't have that issue, but in Preprod and prod Env i have. It makes me crazy.

Friday, June 3, 2016 12:28 PM
  • Did you try to move to any other new library?

Make sure that document is checked out before move.

Do you enough diskspace in SQL server?

Try to repeat the same action in other sub sites

Monday, June 13, 2016 3:06 PM