none
Simple attach trusted domain computers keeps failing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble getting any manually installed agents to work with the DPM server.  One server I've tested is on the same domain and LAN.  No firewall between the machines.  I've manually installed the agent on the protected server and run setdpmserver -dpmservername mydpm.test.local.

Then on the DPM server, I go to run the attach-productionserver.ps1, enter the DPM server name, protected server name, administrator credentials and the script fails with this cryptic error:

There is failure while attaching production server

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 : DPM is unable to retrieve the configuration information from svr1.test.local.

At line:1 char:30

+ .\Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 <<<<

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Attach-ProductionServer.ps1

Ensure that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is started. If the firewall is turned on, on svr1.test.local make sure that an exception for WMI is created.

Any suggestions?

Rob
    • Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:01 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Friday, December 16, 2011 11:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sounds like you have WMI problems on the svr1.test.local Windows 7 system.  Try these steps on the Windows 7 system:

Start - Run - Wbemtest
    Press connect - then connect to namespace: root\cimv2
    press Query - enter query: Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem    Then hit apply - that should not get an error.

Now repeat process this time run it from the DPM Server and connect to the Windows 7 machine remotely.

Start - Run - Wbemtest
    Press connect - then connect to namespace: \\svr1.test.local\root\cimv2
    press Query - enter query: Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem    Then hit apply - that should not get an error.

Investigate any errors and fix them.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sounds like you have WMI problems on the svr1.test.local Windows 7 system.  Try these steps on the Windows 7 system:

Start - Run - Wbemtest
    Press connect - then connect to namespace: root\cimv2

Now repeat process this time run it from the DPM Server and connect to the Windows 7 machine remotely.

Start - Run - Wbemtest
    Press connect - then connect to namespace: \\svr1.test.local\root\cimv2

Investigate any errors and fix them.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Thanks for the tip.  Very useful testing approach and is definitely an issue with one of my machines I'm testing.  Thanks for the help.

Rob
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:57 AM