Rolling out service pack 3 in a clustered environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am rolling out service pack 3 for 2005 on a clustered environment. I am new to clustered environments, so I was wondering what issues I may encounter. I am rolling out this service pack on a production environment, so I have plenty of concerns.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Dave SQL Developer
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:02 PM

Answers

• I'm in your spot exactly, and my plan lookes like this right now.

The way I understand it, you cant uninstall the SP3 if some application behaves badly after the SP. You have to uninstall the instance, reinstall to the SPlevel it was before and restore the user databases, thats a lousy backout strategy.

I don't know how it's supposed to be done, but im thinking of doing a server side trace for deprecation announcement, and deprecation final support.

This would indicate if I could get problems when SP3 is installed. If I get no warnings, or after examining all of them and realizing that they are not affected by SP3, then im going to do my nodes, all in one sweep.

If need be after that, maybe Ill set up another instance, with SP2 on it, and restore the failing application database there in order to notify the vendor and create a upgrade project regarding this/theese application/s and their database/s.

I will also do a filebackup of all system databases before comencing the SP upgrade.

Regards Marten Rune Microsoft Certified IT Professional Database Administrator/Developer 2008
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:31 AM

All replies

• SPs are not aware on clustrer , meaning  you need to install SP3 on each SQL Server instance
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:14 AM
  • SPs are not aware on clustrer , meaning  you need to install SP3 on each SQL Server instance
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:14 AM
  • I'm in your spot exactly, and my plan lookes like this right now.

The way I understand it, you cant uninstall the SP3 if some application behaves badly after the SP. You have to uninstall the instance, reinstall to the SPlevel it was before and restore the user databases, thats a lousy backout strategy.

I don't know how it's supposed to be done, but im thinking of doing a server side trace for deprecation announcement, and deprecation final support.

This would indicate if I could get problems when SP3 is installed. If I get no warnings, or after examining all of them and realizing that they are not affected by SP3, then im going to do my nodes, all in one sweep.

If need be after that, maybe Ill set up another instance, with SP2 on it, and restore the failing application database there in order to notify the vendor and create a upgrade project regarding this/theese application/s and their database/s.

I will also do a filebackup of all system databases before comencing the SP upgrade.

Regards Marten Rune Microsoft Certified IT Professional Database Administrator/Developer 2008
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:31 AM