How to customize the "Downloads" folder view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My Download folder view is changed automatically to show Title/Artist/Track/Bit-rate.  Windows 7 is treating this folder as a container of Audio files.

How do I change the default view of this folder to show default columns (File, Type, Size, Date Modified)?

Please note that this is the in-built Downloads folder of Windows 7, which apears on the top left side when we open Windows Explorer.

Thanks,
    Kamlesh

Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Go to the actual Downloads folder location not the favorites menu. Here you will find the correct tab.

Here is one place.

C:\Users\>your user name>\downloads
    • Marked as answer by KSDN Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:12 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:56 PM

All replies

• Right-click the Downloads folder and choose Properties.  From the Customize tab, set the appropriate folder type.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Hi Kamles,

When did the trouble begin to happen? If it just happened recently, you can try "Restore previous version" function to restore your previous settings.

Can you collect a screenshot for your Download folder? You can upload it in your public folder in the SkyDrive.

It's easy to select the details you want to display for the items in your folder, you just need double click the details your want, then it will display or not.

John
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Shawn, I am not getting the Customize Tab in the Properties dialog box.

Regards,
    Kamlesh
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Hi John,

This problem happened a week back. The restore to previous version gives "no previous version available".  I can't see Customize tab in properties dialog box.

Here's the screenshot:

http://cid-f72f4bb11ec94af8.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/pub-scrshots/Win7-Downloads-Folder.png

Btw, your name sounds me WWE star.... John Cena! Can U C me? :)

Regards,
    Kamlesh

Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hi,
    Go to the actual Downloads folder location not the favorites menu. Here you will find the correct tab.

Here is one place.

C:\Users\>your user name>\downloads
    • Marked as answer by KSDN Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:12 PM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Lead3, it worked! Thanks a lot.

I am not sure why MS didn't provide customize tab directly on the folder which is shown to end-users!

Regards,
    Kamlesh

Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I'm glad it worked.  They do provide the customize tab everywhere but the favorites menu.

You can expand the folder below favorites that is your user name (under desktop tree) and see downloads. The tab is shown there as well.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:59 PM
  • D'oh!  I began to type that in my first post and figured "I'm making this too hard" and took it out.   My bad, I just assumed the favorites would work, but I didn't test it.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:04 PM
  • I had the same problem and what I did was just drag the Download folder from  C:\Users\>your user name>\downloads  to the FAVORITES and that fixed it. It just copied it there.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 11:41 PM