hardware or software problem?? RRS feed

• Question

• hello everyone..

i have compaq cq40144tu just 1 yr old..one day b4 i noticed that while starting mouse pointer is not in center,but in slight left.. i didn took it serious since full screen came and lap working normally..but in the same evening when i powered on,the display is shrinked..the driver inside showed another display detected,but i haven connected any..no hardware error is reported.

i tried uninstalling driver,,then even o.s. but still problem is there,

and another problem arised when win7 took updates after fresh installation.i am not able to control brightness,there is no option and fn button too not working.

my display current resolution has 800*600 shrinked from 1024*800 and the right part(about one fourth of disply) is black,nothing appears on there.everything is visible in shrinked space...all other things working fine.

o.s.--win7 professional

core2duo 2ghz,intel graphics adapter.

here is the link for the images of the problem in display

http://cid-ded6ae5352a662a5.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/1.PNG

plij help me out..

thanks

• Edited by sunny68097 Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:24 PM
    • Changed type Leo Huang Monday, August 30, 2010 2:30 AM
    • Changed type Leo Huang Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:37 AM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:52 PM

Answers

• You could try flashing the bios, but i doubt that will help. But its worth a go to rule it out.

Is the laptop still in warranty ? if it is you could speak to manufacturer for help.

Im not so sure it is a resolution problem if you have resintalled and updated all the drivers etc. I would still like you to try an external monitor. To do this you will require another computer screen that you would have with a desktop computer. Maybe take the laptop to a friends. There will be a blue connection on the laptop with 15 holes in. Plug the monitor of the computer into the laptop. And allow the laptop to boot.

Once in windows right click on the desktop

goto graphic options > output to > dual Display > computer and monitor.

You should then get the laptops picture on both the screens. The post whether or not both screens are looking bad or just the laptop etc.

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:37 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:35 AM

All replies

• How is your display in regards to the 1/4th black portion - Does it show in safe mode ?
    If not, do the clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-gb

Cheers

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:04 PM
  • thanks sir...

the black portion persists in the safe mode also.

but the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-gb instructions i followed,

once i restarted problem was resolved and full screen came...... but again after i shutdown screen is shrinked.i am trying same steps again now..but till now not solved..

i think the problem can be solved by the procedure given in the link but will take some time for me to identify the process causing  the screen to get shrinked..

furthur help is needed..

thanks again for help provided...

Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:06 AM
  • If it persists in safe mode also, It is possibly your graphic adapter.

Check for the driver updates on your graphic adapter manufacturer site.

Also, see if you can remove the graphic adapter from device manager, and re-add the drivers to observe any difference.

Hopefully, this should help since it does the same in the safe mode.

Cheers
    Mani B.

"Do it yourself, before you think someone else will" - Mani Babbar - 18.08.10
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:33 AM
  • But does it still show 1/4th black portion on the screen with that error - Has it been tested, yet !

Before we make any more conclusions, can you possibly paste the screen shots of the error message and when you get these screens.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:13 PM
  • hello sir...

how can i sned u pics,i have it but cant paste here since not giving option...

reply soon..thanks

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:44 PM
  • U can put them in common uploading websites(www.imageshack.us etc) or Sky drive.

& Just paste the links here so we can get to have a look at it.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:54 PM
  • sir i can possibly send pics tomorrow since saturday and sunday firewall allows access to all websites.

so plij wait for some time....

problem is still there...everything else is working fine..

thanks

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:04 AM
  • hellot  sir...i am sorrry to say that today also my university firewall is blocking those sites.,, :(how can i send u the pics...plij reply...
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Use your sky drive account on your profile. If you do google on skydrive you shall find it how to use it.

http://www.windowslive.co.uk/skydrive.aspx

Monday, August 23, 2010 2:21 PM
  • ok sir..i will upload photos..thanks
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Have you tried attaching an external monitor to see if the problem exists on that too? Worth a look.

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:46 AM
  • no..i don know how to do that..here is the link for the photos..plij have a look

http://cid-ded6ae5352a662a5.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/100^_4516.JPG

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:02 PM
  • hello sir..

here is the link for photos...plij hav a look and let me know solutions.

thanks a lot

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:23 PM
  • After Looking at the screenshots - I can confirm you that it is the problem with the resolution on which you are operating your screen.
    Like it says on the resolution screen best is 1024x768 and you should try that.

Also, update your graphic card drivers. Since it is a compaq laptop - It should have support for better resolution and check the Compaq website.

The above should resolve your issue. It is not the hardware but software and the drivers besides setting correct screen resolution is the answer for the above.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:23 PM
  • sorry sir..

i am having the latest driver for the display .and i have tried the driver troubleshooting but its of no use.. even reinstalling o.s. hasnt helped me..don know what to do :(

thanks a lot for your help...

plij do inform if u hav some other soln..

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:23 PM
  • what is the model of your laptop ? and also what are the drivers you are using for your display - Please mention your driver version.

Can you also tell me whether did you try changing the settings(as mentioned in the above post) - if so then what is the message that comes up ?

Because it has got nothing to do with a OS settings but the resolution settings. If you are not sure how to do that, please follow this article :
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-your-screen-resolution

Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:12 AM
  • compaq presario cq 40 144tusystem configuration:
    core2duo 2ghz
    2gb ram.win7 pro os original
    display adapter:latest intel(R) chipset graphics driver
    file version:2.11.15.0   ,  product version : 8.15.10.2182

some people  said i need to flash my bios??

will it elp me??

thanks

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:15 PM
  • You could try flashing the bios, but i doubt that will help. But its worth a go to rule it out.

Is the laptop still in warranty ? if it is you could speak to manufacturer for help.

Im not so sure it is a resolution problem if you have resintalled and updated all the drivers etc. I would still like you to try an external monitor. To do this you will require another computer screen that you would have with a desktop computer. Maybe take the laptop to a friends. There will be a blue connection on the laptop with 15 holes in. Plug the monitor of the computer into the laptop. And allow the laptop to boot.

Once in windows right click on the desktop

goto graphic options > output to > dual Display > computer and monitor.

You should then get the laptops picture on both the screens. The post whether or not both screens are looking bad or just the laptop etc.

www.mypchealth.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:37 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:35 AM
  • hello sir...

i attched an external monitor//thare the full screen is coming..no portion is black in there....but laptop still same after boot also

what might be the problem..plij reply fast....

thanks

Saturday, August 28, 2010 5:45 AM
  • I suspect a faulty lcd display. Anyone else ?
    www.mypchealth.co.uk
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:03 PM
  • ok... going for service centre..thanks

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:28 AM