Win 7 "snap" in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have just reverted back to my Vista system from Windows 7 due to graphic card incompatibility, but I have to confess I miss the new UI feature of Windows 7. If I have several documents to compare, in Windows 7 I could simply use the new "snap" feature to align them on left and right side of the window, which is very convenient for someone like me without double screens.

Now Win 7 has already been released for over one year, do we have any way to do the same "snapping" in Vista?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• just google "Aero snap for vista". There are 3rd party freeware around that will do what you seek. Nobody of course can guarantee stability or issues. But its possible, of course not by asking Microsoft for it..
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:50 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 11:58 AM
  • ... How to do that in Vista?

Bob

I don’t think it can be done.

The Vista ‘Side by Side’ was the improved version of XP’s ‘Tile Windows Vertically’ and Windows 7 is a further improvement of the Vista offering.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 3, 2010 6:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Friday, December 3, 2010 7:10 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:14 AM

All replies

• Bob

Right-click the Taskbar and click Show Windows Side by Side.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Dear Burr,

That only align all application windows currently open side by side. When there are more windows, they span multiple lines and are hardly viewable.

In Win 7, I can arbitrarily select any window and snap it to the left or right side, with all other windows unchanged.

How to do that in Vista?

Bob

Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:15 AM
  • ... How to do that in Vista?

Bob

I don’t think it can be done.

The Vista ‘Side by Side’ was the improved version of XP’s ‘Tile Windows Vertically’ and Windows 7 is a further improvement of the Vista offering.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 3, 2010 6:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Friday, December 3, 2010 7:10 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:14 AM
  • Dear Burr,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Bob

Friday, December 3, 2010 7:11 PM
  • just google "Aero snap for vista". There are 3rd party freeware around that will do what you seek. Nobody of course can guarantee stability or issues. But its possible, of course not by asking Microsoft for it..
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:50 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Dear Smartie,

This works, thanks very much.

Bob

Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:52 PM