How to allow C:(Boot) partition to grab additional unpatitioned space Windows7/XP RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Community,

I have a computer that has a smaller then necessary C: Partition. As this is a shared computer the C drive needs more space. I have used a partition utility to resize the D partition successfully. Now with the 20 GIG's of free space that is claimable how to I add it to the C partition. Do I make the partition C Dynamic and try to use windows to merge the additional space into the C drive. Keep in mind I need to keep the operating system and the data intact. Is there a way Microsoft or otherwise recommended to be able to do this. Any ideas you have is acceptable.

Thanks Community,

Bobbrain

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:36 PM

Answers

• Thanks Carey,

I managed to get it fixed by using Hiren's Boot CD, GPart, then Partition Magic 8. Selecting the "Redistribute Free Space" It took a couple of reboots but we have a working solution now.

Thanks

BobBrain

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:38 PM

All replies

• To extend a basic volume using the Windows interface

1. In Disk Manager, right-click the basic volume you want to extend.

2. Click Extend Volume….

3. Follow the instructions on your screen.

Carey Frisch

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Thanks Carey,

I managed to get it fixed by using Hiren's Boot CD, GPart, then Partition Magic 8. Selecting the "Redistribute Free Space" It took a couple of reboots but we have a working solution now.

Thanks

BobBrain

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:38 PM