none
Importing xlsx file in Ms Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have followed Mr Dale instructions in his book "Ultimate study guide : foundation Microsft Project 2013" about creating a new Project from an excel Workbook" Module Project Definition, page 125 to 133, but unfortenatly i can't import the Excel file i have first exported from Ms Project?  I have exported the file "Using new filters 2013.mpp" to Excel format and it works well. but when i tried to import the excel file with the task_table, resource_table and assignment_table it does'nt work. Can Mr Dale help me?
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:04 PM

All replies

• Oumarou SANOU --

Anyone in this group can help you, but thank you for the compliment in asking me personally to answer your question!  :)  To answer your question, however, you would need to tell us WHY you cannot import the previously exported Excel file.  What happens when you try to import it?  Do you see an error message?  If so, very specific in telling us what error message you see.  And then we will all try to help you.  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:09 PM
  • Hi Oumarou,

Working with Dale's advice and book is a really good path, good choice!

When you say that you could import the Excel file, which result did you get? An error message, no data in the project? Did you go through the import wizard?

Please give us more details and we'll be pleased to help you.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:11 PM
  • Thank you Mr Dale for your reply. that is an honor for me having you.

Here is the error that occur when i click on the finish button :

"The file "Using new filters.xlsx" cannot not be opened

*check that the file name and path are correct

*check that the file format is recognized by project

Project files saved in the version earlier than Microsoft project 2000 can't be opened

If your file is from an earlier version, open it in that version, click Save as (File menu) and save in MPX format. Open the MPX file in the current version of Project. When you use the method, Project data is imported, but formatting is lost"

I hope this information would help you help me. Thanks!

Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

Which version of Excel are you using?

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Thanks Mr Guillaume

I'm using Excel 2007 and i have to say that after clicking on the OK button in the error dialog nothing occur and i'm back to the backstage page with the new tab selected where i had choiced the option "New from Excel workbook" before.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:49 PM
  • Have you read this article from MPUG?

http://www.mpug.com/articles/ask-expert-import-excel-data-project-tips-troubleshooting/

Particularly the legacy setting of your Excel file.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:05 PM
  • Oumarou SANOU --

As I believe you must have done, I saved the Using New Filters 2013.mpp file as an Excel workbook using the Project Excel Template option, and the export process generated the Excel workbook as expected.  If it is any consolation to you, when I attempted to use the Import Wizard to import the exported Excel Workbook, I see the EXACT SAME ERROR DIALOG that you see!  GRRR!  So, your are not doing anything wrong.

I then tried exporting the same MPP file, except this time using the Selected Data option.  I ended up with the same error dialog you see.  I can only conclude that there is a bug in Microsoft Project 2013 that was not present at the time I co-authored the book.  At present, I cannot see any workaround.  We should not be seeing the error dialog when we attempt to import a project in Excel format that was exported directly from Microsoft Project 2013.

I will report this to my contacts within the Microsoft Project 2013 development team and see if they can confirm it is a bug.  And if I hear back, I will report the results in this user forum.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:21 PM
  • Mr Dales.

I hope that Microsoft find solutions. Thanks Mr Dales and congratulation for your pedagogic book. I'm preparing the 74 343 exam and i'm very confident using your book.

Friday, June 13, 2014 2:59 PM
  • Oumarou SANOU --

Thank you for the kind compliment.  I asked my fellow MVP community to see if they could duplicate the behavior that you and both see, and one of my fellow MVPs told me he was able to duplicate the behavior.  So, I have reported this bug to Microsoft, and I hope they will address it.  If I hear more, I will update the community.  If I have answered your original question, please mark one of my posts as the answer.  Thanks!  And please let us know how the test works out for you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, June 13, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Any update on this issue?  I'm having exactly the same problem. 
    Monday, January 26, 2015 4:10 PM
  • See the following thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-project/ms-project/7b96c236-f505-42e1-9ca2-4400659aba5d?page=2

Particularly this part:

I've received the file.  I do see a couple of errors - when you open the Excel file as a new project, and import just tasks - it throws an error about the start a task being before the start of the project.  If I create a new blank project and set the start date to before the first task (Jan 1 for example) and append the tasks and resources, all is well except for the assignments.  The assignments are not matching up to the tasks, so it is creating new tasks.

Try first importing just tasks and resources into a project that you have set the start date correctly.  Then go back and merge the assignments setting the Task Name as the Merge key.

It will work correctly if you import the tasks and resources first - then merge the assignments.

Monday, January 26, 2015 4:52 PM