none
line id of external predecessor RRS feed

• Question

• I have a master project file that I broke the external links to subprojects to create a standalone single file. The tasks that had external links still show the file path of the external link in the predecessor field. How can I find what the line id predecessor in the single file now instead of the old external link id.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:59 PM

All replies

• Ryatt,

It will be a tedious process and there is a much better approach (more on that later).

In the current single file you now have you should see ghost tasks that represent each external link task. Ghost successors are shown under the task and ghost predecessor are shown above the task. Find the non-ghost task in the current file that is identified by each ghost task. The ID of that non-ghost task will be the current id in the single file.

The better approach. Several years ago I wrote a macro that takes a dynamic master file with external links between tasks in the subprojects and converts that dynamic master into a static master with all external links converted to normal predecessors and successors. The macro is not freeware, there is a license fee. If you are interested you can contact me directly at the address below.

Hope this helps.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:51 AM