none
Windows Server 2016 support for RFC 6106

All replies

• Last I heard, Microsoft had no plans to support RFC 6106 at all.

Win10 does not, I suspect W2K16 will not.

hth...Jeff

Jeff Carrell

Thursday, May 7, 2015 5:02 PM
  • What specifically are you asking for? RFC 6106 is about router advertisement. Are you wanting to use Windows Server as a router?

Mediocre Access 2010 | (Baby) Beginner C Sharp | OK at Active Directory (2012) | Fragmented understanding of DNS/DHCP | Laughable experience with Group Policy | Expert question asker on MSDN Forums

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:21 PM
  • No, I don't want Windows Server to act as a router.

My goal is not to use Windows DHCPv6 anymore, only (Cisco) routers (RDNSS). All Windows clients must use SLAAC (which is supported)

But the problem is that after the router has giving the appropiate information to the Windows client (IP etc.) it cannot find where the Windows DNS server(s) are located.

Thats why I wanted to know if RFC 6106 will be supported in the next Windows version.

Android 5 supports it, Cisco supports it in it's IOS. I think Apple supports it as well, only not Windows.

If anyone can tell me how to configure a Windows SLAAC client without the use of DHCPv6 but with DNS settings.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 8:17 AM
  • Did you ever find a solution to the DNS/RFC6106 problem on Windows clients? We have the same issue (all clients running Windows 10).

/Anders

Anders Heick | Mobility Architects

Monday, January 4, 2016 6:14 PM
  • I just tried learning dns via RA's from juniper ACX5048, and I cannot learn dns onto my windows 7 nor my iPhone SE wifi interface.

I can do slaac (ra derived ipv6 address) onto my win7 and iPhone SE.   ...I just can't learn the dns that i'm sending in the RA from the juniper router.  I know the RA is carrying the DNS name because I see it in wireshark as a layer in the RA as ICMPv6 Recursive DNS Server......) type 25.

- Aaron (aaron1@gvtc.com)
    • Edited by AaronGould Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:01 PM mistake on OS version
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:49 PM
  • RFC 6106 support RDNSS or "DNS RA options" have only been implemented in Windows 10 1703 Creators Update.

Neither RFC 6106 nor RFC 8106 RDNSS look like they will be back ported to older versions of Windows. Nor do they look like they will be ported to Windows Phone O/S in the near term.

See RFC 6106 support in "Core Network Stack Features in the Creators Update for Windows 10"

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2017/07/13/core-network-stack-features-in-the-creators-update-for-windows-10/

Also see Windows 10 IPv6 problems in "No IPv6 DNS (Stateless-DHCP) since Windows 10 Anniversary Update"

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b16e7d78-e390-4ada-a24b-3ccba60fa571/no-ipv6-dns-statelessdhcp-since-windows-10-anniversary-update?forum=win10itpronetworking

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:25 PM