WSUS and Windows 10 - apply updates automtically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just started to upgrade some test machines from W7 to W10 using WSUS, which worked perfectly. Our Server is 2012 R2.

I now found that the W10 clients do see and list available updates that I made available on WSUS. However, they never install automatically as before with W7.

I can definitely not rely on the users to go and click install. Do I have to change any of the GPO's in place to have W10 clients automatically install the updates?

There seem to have been a lot of changes to the update process from MS starting with W8. For the life of me, I believe I will never understand why MS changed a perfectly working system. The way it was before - updates have been automatically installed on shutdown - was just about perfect, but that seems not to be possible anymore.

How do I have to set up everything to have a reliable update distribution without user interaction?

Thanks

McL

• Edited by McLion Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:03 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 10:02 AM

Answers

• Hi McLion,

>However, so far I don't see a change in the behavior. The updates are still listed and nothing happens not does the shutdown show an option of installing updates.

Do you mean when the scheduled installation time arrives, then updates are not installed automatically?

>The GPO is set to install at 3am. All are PC's are shot off over night - they need to. I don't see a point in setting it to any daytime because then the users would be interrupted.

If everything works expected, we may enable "No-auto restart with logged on users for scheduled automatically updates installations", then users will not be interrupted.

> I have a hard to believe a lot of thing I see in W10 and wonder if it would be best to stay on W7.

As far as I'm concerned, if you do not have requirements for new functions on Win10 in your environment, you may use Win7, since after years of testing and exploring, win7 is more stable now. While, with the development of technology, I think win10 will become more desirable.

Thanks for your understanding and patient.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi McLion,

I tested it in my lab, win10 could install updates automatically (my AU option is 2, notify for download and notify for install), here is an example, after detecting the update, it download and install it automatically:

Based on my experience, window 10 seems will always download and install the updates automatically and ignore the AU option we configure in GPO. Most people's issue is restart problem.

What are your detailed configuration of the GPO? I may test your configurations.

Besides, since it's an AU behavior with Win10, maybe you can get better help on win10 forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 6, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thanks for your reply. My W10 clients just do nothing and show this:

It's in German, sorry.

It says that the updates will be installed automatically when the PC is not in use. However, it does nothing for days nor does it show a message on the login screen or anywhere.

• Edited by McLion Friday, May 6, 2016 8:07 AM added screen-shot
    Friday, May 6, 2016 7:02 AM
  • Hi McLion,

What's your GPO settings, let's test it for you.

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, May 6, 2016 7:08 AM
  • I have the same that worked for years now - I try to translate the GPO's that are configured:

- Automatic updates set to 3: Download automatically, show message before install
    - Internal server: http://SERVER2:8530
    - Allow Non-Administrators to get messages
    - Immediate install of automatic updates
    - No automatic reboot while users are logged on
    - Target group

With this settings updates are installed automatically on next shutdown when the user shuts down the computer when he leaves the office in the evening - at least it used to on W7. In addition, it was always possible to start the installation manually instead of the automatic.

Thanks
    McLion

• Edited by McLion Friday, May 6, 2016 8:06 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi McLion,

Using your configuration, I got the same result that win10 clients can automatically install the update.

However, according to your screenshot, it seems you scheduled the install somewhere.

Then have you got any help from Win10 forum?

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 5:31 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thanks for testing. There is nothing scheduled since scheduling is only active when option 4 is selected.
    I waited for your response with posting in the win10 forum.

If you have any further suggestion, I'd be happy to try anything because this is a 'showstopper' for our company in upgrading to W10 since it's not only one client that shows this - it's every W10 client we have so far.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

I have just started to upgrade some test machines from W7 to W10 using WSUS, which worked perfectly. Our Server is 2012 R2.

I now found that the W10 clients do see and list available updates that I made available on WSUS. However, they never install automatically as before with W7.

I can definitely not rely on the users to go and click install. Do I have to change any of the GPO's in place to have W10 clients automatically install the updates?

There seem to have been a lot of changes to the update process from MS starting with W8. For the life of me, I believe I will never understand why MS changed a perfectly working system. The way it was before - updates have been automatically installed on shutdown - was just about perfect, but that seems not to be possible anymore.

How do I have to set up everything to have a reliable update distribution without user interaction?

Thanks

McL

• Merged by Michael_LS Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:05 AM same post
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Could you please read out the settings from you machine updating automatically (this key):

reg:\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Thanks
    McL

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Hi McLion,

Here it is:

GPO setting:

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:16 AM
  • Anne,

Thanks, it looks the same on my end.
    Can you please tell me the GPO setting (if any) for (automatic) maintenance and/or the local settings for automatic maintenance. Could this have an influence?
    Please note that our workstations are shut down over night, saying the users are told to shut donw the workstations when they leave in the evening.
    There are many reasons why we can not allow the computers to run 24/7.

Thanks,
    McL

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Anne,

Me again. Could you please also check the following setting for me:

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:43 AM
  • Hi McLion,

I would also suggest checking here on win10:

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Hi Mate,

What did you do to upgrade from W7 to W10 using WSUS ?

I applied KB3159706 but I'm still getting the error "Windows 7 and 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 - en-us, Retail" when the client Windows Update try to download.

Thank You

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:28 AM
  • McLion,

Windows 10 is not like Windows 8.1 and the earlier version of Windows, it has not so much configurable settings available to change the update behavior through the client side.

The only available place to manage through the GUI is from Settings->Update and security->Windows Update.

So here I would suggest we first verify the group policy settings.

Next, check Windows 10 task scheduler, to see if any tasks would help to start the update;

Verify the status of Windows update service and module install service through services.msc.

Also if available, share your Windowsupdate.log for further investigation.

And take a try to change the GPO settings, then open CMD and type:

GPupdate /force

On Windows 10 client.

If issue still insists, post back in Windows 10 forum and we will take the further assistance.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:19 AM
  • Hi

Where do you get this error?
    Does WSUS download and list the upgrade and could you approve it?

Further, on the clients I needed to add the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    "AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

HTH
    McL

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:46 AM
  • Using your configuration, I got the same result that win10 clients can automatically install the update.

Hi McLion,

Due to somethings wrong in my lab, I got the result that with AU option 3 can install the update automatically. While AU option 3 is "Auto download and notify for install", the update will by installed when clients are ready to install, so the behavior on your clients are expected.

To enable install updates automatically, please choose AU option 4, "Auto download and schedule the install", then configure the scheduled install day and time, check if the updates can be installed when the schedule time arrives. Remember to run "gpupdate /force" on client after you modify the GPO.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:58 AM
  • Hey, I did post in the windows 10 forum .. and it has been merged back here from a mod !?!

- GPU settings fro WU seem to be OK
    - GPO settings are getting to the W10 client, this is verified

Which tasks should I check in task scheduler? WU Tasks are all active. What are the needed starting modes for WU service and Module Installer service?
    They are on 'manual' right now.

Thanks
    McL

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Hi Anne,

OK, I changed the AU option to 4 and the setting came over to the clients. I forced the GPO update and I checked in the registry and I can see in the GUI it now says automatically.

However, so far I don't see a change in the behavior. The updates are still listed and nothing happens not does the shutdown show an option of installing updates.

The GPO is set to install at 3am. All are PC's are shot off over night - they need to. I don't see a point in setting it to any daytime because then the users would be interrupted.

Simply put, I just want the same, easy, stable and reliable behavior we are used to for ages. Why does MS change working things to the worse? I have a hard to believe a lot of thing I see in W10 and wonder if it would be best to stay on W7.

Thanks
    McL

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi McLion,

>However, so far I don't see a change in the behavior. The updates are still listed and nothing happens not does the shutdown show an option of installing updates.

Do you mean when the scheduled installation time arrives, then updates are not installed automatically?

>The GPO is set to install at 3am. All are PC's are shot off over night - they need to. I don't see a point in setting it to any daytime because then the users would be interrupted.

If everything works expected, we may enable "No-auto restart with logged on users for scheduled automatically updates installations", then users will not be interrupted.

> I have a hard to believe a lot of thing I see in W10 and wonder if it would be best to stay on W7.

As far as I'm concerned, if you do not have requirements for new functions on Win10 in your environment, you may use Win7, since after years of testing and exploring, win7 is more stable now. While, with the development of technology, I think win10 will become more desirable.

Thanks for your understanding and patient.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:54 AM