none
Internet Explorer 11 Enterprise Mode vs Compatibility View RRS feed

• Question

• We're currently testing IE 11 with Enterprise Mode at my company to see how it handles a lot of our legacy applications and so far it seems to be working alright about 90% of the time. There are a few sites, however, that require the compatibility view rather than enterprise mode. The problem is that these sites are listed at "intranet.com", which is where a lot of other applications redirect to that will break in compatibility view. And of course, wildcard settings won't work with this.

What I'm wondering is whether compatibility view or enterprise mode settings take precedence under group policy settings? If we list "intranet.com" under our compatibility view site list to accommodate those few sites and then create enterprise mode settings for the other applications sitting on intranet.com that break with compatibility view, what can we expect to see?

Monday, June 16, 2014 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

there are GPO settings for Compatibility View... you probably currently have "display intranet sites in compatibility view".... this will force all domains in the Intranet zone to use IE7 emulation mode (compatibility view) by default. To use Enterprise Mode for some of those Intranet domains just add the domains to your Enterprise mode list. They will then use Enterprise Mode (IE8 'Standards' emulation I/o IE7 Emulation (compatibility mode)).

f12>Emulation tab, will tell you how the documentMode is being set for each web site (Intranet Compatibility View setting, Enterprise Mode list, MS Compatibility View List (internet sites), X-UA meta tag, X-UA response header).

File>Properties will tell you which IE Security zone the domain is mapped to.

An understanding of web programming and HTML is probably required to determine the correct strategy for migrating your legacy web assets.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:05 AM