EXCH-01 - Mail flow test failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We have 6 members  DAG  3 in primary site and 3 in DR site (Exchange Server 2016) .We are using  a scheduled script to check the DAG health on hourly basis.In that script we are getting an error from last one month the error is  "EXCH-001 - Mail flow test failed" .When we started receiving this error we observe that when end users want to send email outside it stuck for a while in Draft folder  of their mailbox. But this error message we are receiving randomly .Some time it is coming and sometime its not but normally we are receiving this error most hours of the day. When i check the Mail flow test by using the command " Test-Mailflow"  The result is always ok.

A few days ago i restarted all the server and the error went for some 5 days and the email form end user also stopped going to the draft folder but today i  am again receiving the same error message.Below is the error Screenshot.

Thursday, December 19, 2019 10:05 AM

Answers

• When we get this, we generally failover the VM to another host and restart it and it clears.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Shong Chen Tuesday, December 31, 2019 12:46 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Dear Eric,

The issue we have observed in OWA. If you will open the same mailbox in another browser the same time those messages which stuck in the drafts will be showing in the both browser which means that the mailbox is syncing properly with the server but as per my understanding the problem was with the transport services as after restarting the servers the problem has now been faxed as of now.

The messages was only getting stuck for a few seconds in the drafts folder which shows that either the server was slow or have issues with those transport rules.

Thanks for your reply

• Marked as answer by Shong Chen Monday, January 27, 2020 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2019 12:46 PM
  • I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:
    [Exchange Server > Exchange Server 2016 -EXCH-01 - Mail flow test failed— Summary]

Issue Symptom:
    When using the script to check DAG health, one of a server gets an error in Mail Flow Test: When end users want to send email outside, it stuck for a while in Draft folder of their mailbox

(Possible) Cause:
    Server was slow or having issues with the transport rules

Solution:
    1.Check Transport Submission service
    2.Check DNS bindings
    3.Failover the VM to another host and restart the server

Reference Links:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a92773d8-afb0-439b-852e-d291a7c4e2ee/exchange-2016-owa-draft-email-issues?forum=Exch2016MFSM
    • Marked as answer by Shong Chen Monday, January 27, 2020 7:36 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2020 9:36 AM

All replies

• When we get this, we generally failover the VM to another host and restart it and it clears.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Shong Chen Tuesday, December 31, 2019 12:46 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2019 5:21 PM
  • Hi Edward.

you restart the host or vm.? If host then it means that the problem is with host .But as i mentioned in my question last time i restarted my all Exchange Servers one by one and it got fix after that..

Sunday, December 22, 2019 1:17 PM
  • Hi Shong Chen,
    I don’t think restart can solve the problem since it still persists.
    First I want to ensure if only OWA has this problem? For my knowledge, Outlook processes outbound messages in the Outbox folder.
    Messages stuck in the Drafts folder means that they aren't being picked up by submission, so you can run the following commands to check and restart the service:

Get-Service -Displayname "*sub*"

Restart-Service MSExchangeTransport 

iisreset /restart

Incorrect DNS binding to server NICs may also result in this issue. You can go to EAC-Server-DNSlookups to check if DNS is pointing to right place. Don’t forget to restart transport service then.
    If steps above don’t help, you can check the Event Viewer for any related errors. 
    You can also refer to this case, which may help you narrow the range: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a92773d8-afb0-439b-852e-d291a7c4e2ee/exchange-2016-owa-draft-email-issues?forum=Exch2016MFSM

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi, I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 30, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Dear Eric,

The issue we have observed in OWA. If you will open the same mailbox in another browser the same time those messages which stuck in the drafts will be showing in the both browser which means that the mailbox is syncing properly with the server but as per my understanding the problem was with the transport services as after restarting the servers the problem has now been faxed as of now.

The messages was only getting stuck for a few seconds in the drafts folder which shows that either the server was slow or have issues with those transport rules.

Thanks for your reply

• Marked as answer by Shong Chen Monday, January 27, 2020 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2019 12:46 PM
  • I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:
    [Exchange Server > Exchange Server 2016 -EXCH-01 - Mail flow test failed— Summary]

Issue Symptom:
    When using the script to check DAG health, one of a server gets an error in Mail Flow Test: When end users want to send email outside, it stuck for a while in Draft folder of their mailbox

(Possible) Cause:
    Server was slow or having issues with the transport rules

Solution:
    1.Check Transport Submission service
    2.Check DNS bindings
    3.Failover the VM to another host and restart the server

Reference Links:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a92773d8-afb0-439b-852e-d291a7c4e2ee/exchange-2016-owa-draft-email-issues?forum=Exch2016MFSM
    • Marked as answer by Shong Chen Monday, January 27, 2020 7:36 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2020 9:36 AM
  • Yes MigrationUser 1,

I am agreed with you the issue was most probably caused by Transport services or server Slowness. my problem has been fixed after restart .

Thanks!

Monday, January 27, 2020 7:40 AM