none
how to keep show resources on resource tab by person they report to or by a group, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having difficulty determining if this is possible.  I have 6 project managers that I have certain people we want to show as available resources for assignment.  One project manager, as an example, may have john and suzy and another may have jane and scott.   Does a way exist so that when each of these project managers create a new project and then click build team, they only see people they are allowed to assign?  Right now I have to set it so that they can see everyone in the entire department for assignment.  I also do not want all of the project managers being able to run resource availability on all of the other people in the departement; just the ones they ave access to.  Is this possible?

Cletus51

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:29 PM

Answers

• Hi cletus51,

by default, project managers may assign every resource on the project server in their projects. This permission is granted because the group Project Managers has access to the category My Organisation with the category permission Resource/Assign Resource.

If you build your RBS (organisational chart), you can use the category My Resources instead which contains all resource who are descendants of the current person in RBS. For the the group Project Managers, remove the category permission Resource/Assign Resource in the category My Organisation and add the category My Resources with the category permission Resource/Assign Resource. After this change, members of the group Project Managers cannot add every resource to the team, but only the resources below them in RBS.

Similarly, you can create new categories where you select resources manually or via RBS rule checkboxes and grant your group Project Managers access with certain permissions.

Also, it is advisable to revise other permission like showing assignments and enterprise data on the resource categories. But this should give you a good start.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:47 PM