maximum size of pst file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts

i am exporting pst files for few mailboxes year wise.and for one year i can see pst file size reaching up to 100GB. so what is the maximum size of PST file supported when importing on outlook2016/2013. will it cause any outlook performance issue because one i import this pst file, i want to delete emails from mailbox.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Risingflight,

Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 & Outlook 2016 has file size limit up to 50 GB that can be increased or decreased by applying changes to the Windows registry settings.

To increase the maximum size of pst-files and ost-files in Outlook, you’ll need to create and set 2 values in the following location in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\PST
    The following 2 new DWORD values must be created or set;

WarnLargeFileSize  - Don’t set this higher than 4090445042 (decimal) or f3cf3cf2 (hexadecimal)
    MaxLargeFileSize  - Don’t set this higher than 4294967295 (decimal) or ffffffff (hexadecimal)
    The first value is how many MB a user can write to a pst-file or ost-file before receiving a warning that the file is full. The second value is how many MB the system can write to a pst-file or ost-file. This difference has to be at least 5% since there is more written to a pst-file and ost-file than just user data.

In your case MaxLargeFileSize has to be set to 102400 (which is 100GB) and WarnLargeFileSize to 97280 (which is 95GB) or more.

Please mark this post if it answers your question and solves your problem !

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

The maximum size of PST file is 50GB. To change the limit of size, you need to change the registry entries. 
    Refer to the article to see how to change the settings.

How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook

When you import .pst file, you can’t delete emails as the interface is frozen.

Please feel free to post your questions, and I am glad to provide further assistance.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Risingflight Sunday, September 16, 2018 6:53 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:12 AM
  • Max is 50GB but I would suggest break it down to smaller files such as 20GB or smaller as it can take a long time to open the file(s) and possible corruption in the file.
    Sunday, September 16, 2018 5:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Risingflight,

Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013 & Outlook 2016 has file size limit up to 50 GB that can be increased or decreased by applying changes to the Windows registry settings.

To increase the maximum size of pst-files and ost-files in Outlook, you’ll need to create and set 2 values in the following location in the Registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\PST
    The following 2 new DWORD values must be created or set;

WarnLargeFileSize  - Don’t set this higher than 4090445042 (decimal) or f3cf3cf2 (hexadecimal)
    MaxLargeFileSize  - Don’t set this higher than 4294967295 (decimal) or ffffffff (hexadecimal)
    The first value is how many MB a user can write to a pst-file or ost-file before receiving a warning that the file is full. The second value is how many MB the system can write to a pst-file or ost-file. This difference has to be at least 5% since there is more written to a pst-file and ost-file than just user data.

In your case MaxLargeFileSize has to be set to 102400 (which is 100GB) and WarnLargeFileSize to 97280 (which is 95GB) or more.

Please mark this post if it answers your question and solves your problem !

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

The maximum size of PST file is 50GB. To change the limit of size, you need to change the registry entries. 
    Refer to the article to see how to change the settings.

How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook

When you import .pst file, you can’t delete emails as the interface is frozen.

Please feel free to post your questions, and I am glad to provide further assistance.

Regards,

Dawn Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:12 AM
  • Max is 50GB but I would suggest break it down to smaller files such as 20GB or smaller as it can take a long time to open the file(s) and possible corruption in the file.
    Sunday, September 16, 2018 5:08 AM