Opening Mail Merge Document in Word 2013 originally created in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of .docx that were created in Word 2010 with a mail merge that pulls data from an Access database for the merge. When I open the .docx using Word 2010 the SQL merge dialog box displays:

Opening this document will run the follow SQL command:

SELECT * FROM `Super Districts Agreed, District Coord, Principal Contact`

Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to continue?

Normally, if I am simply editing the text, I choose "No", edit the text, close the document and the mail merge is saved. However, when I open this document in Word 2013 the same dialog box is displayed I again select "No" edit the text, save the document and close it. But when I reopen the document in Word 2013 the mail merge is gone. There is no mail merge setup on the document. I have duplicated this with a number of documents. When I open the document in Word 2010 I can select "No" everytime I open the document and when I reopen the document, the mail merge is preserved.

My computer:

i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

8GB Ram

Windows 7 Enterprise - 64bit

Office 2010 and Office 2013 installed - 32bit

Please let me know if this is a bug and if there is a work around. Thank you.

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:57 PM

All replies