none
Windows 8.1 upgrade fails with error code 0x800706BE RRS feed

• Question

• I get Windows 8.1 upgrade fails error code 0x800706BE when I try to upgrade my brand new Lenovo ideacentre computer.

Any ideas? 

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

We can try to clear update temp files to check the issue:

1.     Click the Start Button and type in "Notepad" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and press Enter.
    2.     Copy the following commands and paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop Cryptsvc
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sdold.old
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 crt2old.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start Cryptsvc

3.     After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Then choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "temp.bat" (without the quotation marks) as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.
    4.     Right click the temp.bat file on Desktop and choose Run as administrator.
    5.     A DOS-like window will begin processing.

If the issue still persists, please run System file checker to repair system: Open command prompt by run as admin and type following command:

SFC /SCANNOW

Any error message, please post back.

To further help you, please upload windowsupdate.log as Zig mentioned.

Keep post.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:32 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Mike

That error simply means some "updates" could not be installed.  Suggest you check the update log file to see which

Check the windows log: Search for

%windir%/WindowsUpdate.log

Or update it to your skydrive and put a link toit in your next post.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Same applies to me; brand new Sony Vaio; same error code.  How do we get round it?  Spent a whole morning downloading/installing and then it just reverts to 8.0.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:59 PM
  • I had the same problem with my acer aspire s7 and just fixed it. I ran the windows update automated troubleshooter and it identified an issue with my windows update database and fixed it. I then re installed windows 8.1 and no more troubles. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Just to add to the above fix I found, this did mean I had to re download the windows 8.1 install again from scratch. Bit of a pain but it did resolve the issue using the windows update troubleshooter.
    • Proposed as answer by Sorry4uboth Saturday, May 11, 2019 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Hi, 

We can try to clear update temp files to check the issue:

1.     Click the Start Button and type in "Notepad" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and press Enter.
    2.     Copy the following commands and paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv
    net stop Cryptsvc
    ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sdold.old
    ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 crt2old.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start Cryptsvc

3.     After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Then choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "temp.bat" (without the quotation marks) as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.
    4.     Right click the temp.bat file on Desktop and choose Run as administrator.
    5.     A DOS-like window will begin processing.

If the issue still persists, please run System file checker to repair system: Open command prompt by run as admin and type following command:

SFC /SCANNOW

Any error message, please post back.

To further help you, please upload windowsupdate.log as Zig mentioned.

Keep post.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:32 PM
    Owner
  • Here is an log CBS.log

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1A003E3083FDCAF%212414

Sunday, March 23, 2014 10:18 PM