in the active directory federation services configuration wizard RRS feed

• Question

• In the ADFS active directory federation services configuration wizard it is asking for a SSL Certificate. There is nothing in the drop down and another option is to click the import option. How do I enter the certificate and how is it created? Located in the "Specify Service Properties"  in the ADFS Configuration wizard. Please help. Thanks
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:18 PM

All replies

• You need an SSL certificate to install ADFS. you can use a certificate issues by your internal CA if you are not planning to open the ADFS service externally. If you want at one point to enable your user to authenticate when they are connected externally (through a proxy or WAP - Web Application Proxy), then you'll need a public SSL certificate.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. How do I link the internal to the drop down? or import button?
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Once you have the certificate, import it in the local computer store. Make sure you also have the private key associated to it. Then it will show up in the drop down menu.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:00 PM
  • In the ADFS active directory federation services configuration wizard it is asking for a SSL Certificate. There is nothing in the drop down and another option is to click the import option. How do I enter the certificate and how is it created? Located in the "Specify Service Properties"  in the ADFS Configuration wizard. Please help. Thanks
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:32 PM
  • local computer store? I have one "local computer console"?
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Do you have a .pfx file?

That's the certificate format that includes a private key.

Double-click the file, go through the wizard and select "Local - Personal".

It should then appear in the drop down.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 5:50 PM