none
Project 2010 professional upgrade from project 2010 standard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - Having spent approx £400 last year purchasing Project 2010 standard, I need to use the team planner which is only available in project professional.  I cannot however find anything on the upgrade path from standard to professional.  Surely this is possible??  If not, that means losing the entire investment in the standard edition if I have to buy the full edition of professional.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:28 PM

Answers

• Personally I never use the team planner because with many tasks the View doesn't work for me (can't read task names) and when moving assignments from one resource to another, it adds a task constraint which means it's quicker to use other methods to swap assignments rather than the team planner (by the time I've swapped views and cleared the constraint). So test before you upgrade!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:59 PM
  • I would agree with Rod.  Team Planner is a good view to get the swim lane picture of what is going on but reassigning tasks using Team Planner is another story.  It does create constraints and has the potential to break links.  The only other feature in 2010 pro that you get is inactive tasks.  Try it before you buy it.  Most of my students like the new view but it should be looked at as a way of seeing more information differently to make better decisions.  

There is a free download for the demo of 2010 pro so you can test drive it.  To my knowledge there is not a planned upgrade path - it might be a repurchase.  

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Monday, April 18, 2011 1:12 PM

All replies

• You'll probably need to take that up with Microsoft directly.  

My observation is that they are moving away from "upgrade" pricing.  For Project I never noticed in previous versions that they had such an upgrade from Std to Pro; and take note that for Office 2010 they have no upgrade pricing from previous versions of Office.

Instead of losing the investment, give the Project 2010 standard to one of the members of your team.  It will co-exist nicely with Pro version on the same files.  

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Personally I never use the team planner because with many tasks the View doesn't work for me (can't read task names) and when moving assignments from one resource to another, it adds a task constraint which means it's quicker to use other methods to swap assignments rather than the team planner (by the time I've swapped views and cleared the constraint). So test before you upgrade!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:59 PM
  • I would agree with Rod.  Team Planner is a good view to get the swim lane picture of what is going on but reassigning tasks using Team Planner is another story.  It does create constraints and has the potential to break links.  The only other feature in 2010 pro that you get is inactive tasks.  Try it before you buy it.  Most of my students like the new view but it should be looked at as a way of seeing more information differently to make better decisions.  

There is a free download for the demo of 2010 pro so you can test drive it.  To my knowledge there is not a planned upgrade path - it might be a repurchase.  

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Monday, April 18, 2011 1:12 PM