Some Outlook Contact Notes Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

One of our employee's hard drive recently crashed, he is a salesmen for our business and stores a ton of information in his notes about each customer. We have his archives from previous years and have linked him up to a new computer. However, during the transition to the new computer, all his notes were lost. I have read that Exchange server actually doesn't store these notes and that it is actually a local item. But why do some notes still exist? And from my readings it suggested that contact notes aren't actually stored in the archives themselves. These notes are actually located within the .pst file outlook creates when you first setup the account in the appdata folder.

I found out about this through Robert Sparnaaij's blog at msoutlook info, where he is talking about restoring contacts. But, I believe this might be along the same lines. The products he suggested I think won't work for us as it is just trying to extract addresses or contact information. I may be wrong. I can't post a link to the blog right now because MS needs to verify me.

It is quite a strange mystery. His old computer was using Outlook 2010, and his new one is all the way up at Outlook 2016. We are quite perplexed in why this would all of a sudden wipe out most of his notes. He did have an iPhone synced to the same email account. One of my coworkers suggested that these notes that had been recently stored on his iPhone may have synced back up to the computer's local storage.

I believe we are out of luck and might need to escalate this to a hard drive recovery phase, what are some good data recovery businesses out there?

Thanks for you help,

Raptor

Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Paptor,

>> We have his archives from previous years and have linked him up to a new computer. 

By "archives", do you mean the archive .pst files? How was the archive files created? As far as I know, Contacts/Notes are contained in the same PST file as your Inbox if you made a backup copy of the PST file versus creating one by either export or archive which allows for the possibility that not all data was included. 

By the way, what's the version of your Exchange sever? If it is Exchange Sever 2013, there was a known issue that Notes field in Contacts is blank after it is updated on a mobile device or in Outlook Web App in an Exchange Server 2013 environment. If this is the case, please try changing to Exchange Online mode to check the result.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 9:59 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Thanks for getting back to me. We are currently using Exchange Server 2010. Is it possible to change the setting to Exchange Online mode in Exchange 2010.

What I mean by "archives" is that we used the auto archive feature or simply did an export of the .pst file. We didn't do a direct copy of the .pst file that gets automatically created by outlook in the AppData folder. I'm guessing the archiving feature in Outlook doesn't specifically backup the Contact Notes section especially in older versions of Outlook like 2010 or in Exchange 2010, am I correct?

Appreciate the help,

Raptor

Monday, November 27, 2017 7:39 PM