locked
Date of search results is wrong in Search Server 2010 Express RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am crawling 3 folders that contain word docs, and text files.  These are network shares that exist on a 2003 server.

    When you search for something the date in the search results is the date that the folders were crawled.  It does not show the last modified date, it just shows the date the file was crawled.

     

    In MOSS 2007 it would show the date the file was last modified.

    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:54 PM

Answers

  • The solution that has been identified by MS support. 

    I tested this and it works.  The issue was something like: modified dates can be wrong in file shares and so they wanted to override the last modifed date with another field, don't know what that field was but the long and the short of it is: here is the fix:

    1.  

    Open registry for editing by typing “regedit.exe” in Start > Run

     Navigate to the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager]

     Change the hexadecimal value for EnableLastModifiedOverride to 0 (zero) on the right hand side.

     Restart SharePoint Search service by typing the following commands in command prompt.

        net stop osearch14

        net start osearch14

     Perform a full crawl

    • Marked as answer by JHA PeterA Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:40 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    For SharePoint 2010, this behavior is by design. If you wish to see last modified date, you must customize the XSLT code from the search webpart.

    Here are the steps to manually hook the Last Modified By field to the creawled field.

    1.Go to metadata property mappings
    2.Click “Modifiedby” to edit the properties
    3.Make sure  “Include values from all crawled properties mapped” is selected
    4.Click “add mapping” and select the “Office” category from the dropdown list.
    5.look for a property named “OFFICE:8” , click “OK”
    6.Click “add mapping” and select the “ows_Last_x0020_Modified(text)” from the ALL categories dropdown list, Click “OK”
    7.Make sure the box is checked “Allow this property to be used in scopes”, click “OK”
    8.Click on “Crawled Properties” link on the left side of the Shared Services Administration page.
    9.Click On the “Office” Category.
    10.The mapped property you just created should be listed in the “Mapped To” column of the Office:8(Text) category.
    11.Click on the Office:8(Text) category to view the properties.
    12.In the “name and information” section, you should see the “property Set ID:” value is  ‘F29F85E0-4FF9-1068-AB91-08002B27B3D9‘ …This is very important!!!
    13.In the “Mappings to managed properties” section the managed property you edited in steps 2 – 7 should be listed.
    14.The box to “Include values for this property in the search index” should be checked.
    15.Click “OK” to exit this page.
    16.Go to “Content Sources”
    17.Click on “Local Office SharePoint Server sites” to expand the dropdown list and select “Start full crawl”
    18.When the crawl has completed, navigate to the site collection -> click on the search tab.
    19.Select “Advanced Search”
    20.In the properties dropdown list select “Last Modified By“
    21.Select contains
    22.Enter a name that you know has added / edited a document
    23.Click the magnifier to execute the search
    24.Get back results.

    Ref: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms560074.aspx


    Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Nishant - MSFT Monday, January 31, 2011 10:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JHA PeterA Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:02 PM
  • I am also seeing this issue in Search Server 2010 express and SharePoint Server 2010. 

    Some content does not show the correct Modifed Date, instead a large number of items display the date the server first indexed the "File Share".  When I look at each individual item the modified date is not what is being displayed in search results.

    I have opened a support ticket but it doesn't look like support will be able to fix the issue.

    Dan

    Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Hi Dan,

    is it totally impossible to get the correct date to show? I've tried Nishants tips, but didn't get there. I have the same problem displaying search results from a network share. The date shown seems to be the index date and not the datetime last modified.


    MCTS in Web Application Development in .NET 2.0
    Monday, March 7, 2011 2:52 PM
  • The solution that has been identified by MS support. 

    I tested this and it works.  The issue was something like: modified dates can be wrong in file shares and so they wanted to override the last modifed date with another field, don't know what that field was but the long and the short of it is: here is the fix:

    1.  

    Open registry for editing by typing “regedit.exe” in Start > Run

     Navigate to the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager]

     Change the hexadecimal value for EnableLastModifiedOverride to 0 (zero) on the right hand side.

     Restart SharePoint Search service by typing the following commands in command prompt.

        net stop osearch14

        net start osearch14

     Perform a full crawl

    • Marked as answer by JHA PeterA Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:13 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:40 PM
  • This worked for me as well!

    Thanks!


    Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:16 AM
  • Works like a charm! Thanks!


    MCTS Web Application Development, SharePoint enthousiast.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:20 AM