Using Excel in a Terminal Server enviroment - what licenses do I need? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am setting up Server 2008 and need to have up to 20 concurrent users able to use Excel.  What licenses do I need, and how do I get same?

Mike

Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Office licensing is basically attached/entitled to the device (e.g. the user's pc/keyboard).
    So if your user's pc's already have an Office license via VL, those pc's can consume Office via TS/RDS without any additional license requirement (the user's pc is deemed their "primary" device).

Logon to MS VLSC website to obtain the product key for Office 2010 for TS, install Office on the TS server with the Office-for-TS product key, and you are done.
    Unless you will be using Office at the server keyboard (or some kind of document automation process running on the server itself, there is no need to buy a license for the server itself.

There is no concurrent licensing model for Office.

Check with your reseller or MS VL center for further details.

Don
    • Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, January 6, 2012 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:56 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Office licensing is basically attached/entitled to the device (e.g. the user's pc/keyboard).
    So if your user's pc's already have an Office license via VL, those pc's can consume Office via TS/RDS without any additional license requirement (the user's pc is deemed their "primary" device).

Logon to MS VLSC website to obtain the product key for Office 2010 for TS, install Office on the TS server with the Office-for-TS product key, and you are done.
    Unless you will be using Office at the server keyboard (or some kind of document automation process running on the server itself, there is no need to buy a license for the server itself.

There is no concurrent licensing model for Office.

Check with your reseller or MS VL center for further details.

Don
    • Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, January 6, 2012 12:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:56 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Hello,

I have a sbs 2011 with secondary terminal server (which is server 2008)

To use office on the terminal server, Microsoft instructed me to install  office volume licence together with KMS Key management system  (Minimum number of license for volume: 5)

There is however a problem : the KMS host only activates if it detect licence requests from 5 different hardware ids.

The terminal server, and all user sessions on it , only account for 1 (one) machine ID - It also use but one license. (Legally you must own the number of licenses you use - in your case 20)

This means if you only planned for the terminal server in the local network to use the kmshost (as I did), the kms host will stop after a 90 day grace period (I think), halting office use.

The only solution I found, was to convert 4 existing pc's in the local network to use KMS   (retiring previous seperate licenses)
    Once those pc's asked for the kms license, the kms host saw 5 machine id, and activated.
    I'm not sure if the 5 machines limit is checked later on.

I read somewhere you could use 4 virtual pc's - this i have not tested.

best regards
    glenn

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:21 AM
  • Hello,

I have a sbs 2011 with secondary terminal server (which is server 2008)

To use office on the terminal server, Microsoft instructed me to install  office volume licence together with KMS Key management system  (Minimum number of license for volume: 5)

There is however a problem : the KMS host only activates if it detect licence requests from 5 different hardware ids.

The terminal server, and all user sessions on it , only account for 1 (one) machine ID - It also use but one license. (Legally you must own the number of licenses you use - in your case 20)

This means if you only planned for the terminal server in the local network to use the kmshost (as I did), the kms host will stop after a 90 day grace period (I think), halting office use.

The only solution I found, was to convert 4 existing pc's in the local network to use KMS   (retiring previous seperate licenses)
    Once those pc's asked for the kms license, the kms host saw 5 machine id, and activated.
    I'm not sure if the 5 machines limit is checked later on.

I read somewhere you could use 4 virtual pc's - this i have not tested.

best regards
    glenn

The KMShost server "minimum threshold" has to be maintained either at, or above, the threshold, or else the KMShost server will cease issuing (re)activations.
    Yes, you can use VM's, but, the VM's will need to "phone home" to the KMShost server to keep the threshold count at/above 5 clients.

The Office-on-RDS/TS doesn't require KMShost.
    KMS delivers activations for Office installations. A single RDS/TS host, is only a single installation (regardless of how many RDS/TS clients there are), because an RDS/TS client using Office doesn't have Office installed via RDS/TS.

An RDS/TS client *may* also have Office installed, but the point of RDS/TS is to provide hosted-apps. 

Don
    • Edited by DonPick Friday, January 27, 2012 6:27 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 6:23 AM