none
Actual Cost not being updated in Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A project manager has been having problems with a task where there is Actual Work assigned and the cost rates table is correct and updated but Actual Cost stays at $0 no matter what.

I have tried a lot of things to get the Actual Cost to show something but I am out of ideas. What are some possible solutions to this problem?

Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:36 PM

All replies

• In Task Usage view in Project Pro, add the rate table column and confirm the correct rate table is selected. What is the rate assigned to the resource doing the work?

Treb Gatte | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog

Friday, June 19, 2015 7:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The task is assigned to six different resources. I am trying to focus on one that has 144 actual hours charged in. Their cost rate table has an effective date from 10/1/12 through 7/1/15 and the hours were definitely charged in during this span.

The resource is overallocated if that matters. I tried leveling the resource but the actual hours for the task still don't affect the actual cost.

I have manually added a new resource with a cost rate defined, assigned it to the task and the actual cost is still stays at $0.

I am thinking it has something to do with a property of the task but I am not sure what it could be. Still researching and trying out ideas. Let me know if you know something that may help.

• Edited by MeerDev Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:40 PM
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot think about any task/assignment fields which might cause this behavior.

You could try this method in case you project is corrupted.

Are you working with Project Server or MS Project standalone?

Additionally you can send me your file to gDOTrouyreATcgiDOTcom (replace caps).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Make sure you have Service Pack 2 installed as well. Latest updates wouldn't hurt either (do an Office update).

In the resource sheet, is the Accrue At set to prorated? If its at End then actual cost doesn't accrue until the task is 100% complete.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:28 PM