Randomly restarting computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 7 Toshiba laptop. It is retarded. I've had it for a little over a year. It randomly out of nowhere just restarts by itself, then when its on again the screen gives me two options: Launch startup repair (Recommended) and Start windows normally. I've done both. It does it over and over and Over and OVER again. Sometimes it turns on all the way for a little bit and then it happens again. I have had people look at it and I have anti virus software that I run whenever it stays on long enough. It also restarts whenever I play my Sims3 game. It never restarted during the game before and now it does. Please help me. This computer is DRIVING ME CRAZY !!!!
    • Changed type anacmerced Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:23 AM random restart
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Did this issue only occur when you play that game?

Please check the game is compatible with Windows 7 or not, you can check it on Windows 7 Compatibility Center. The program which incompatible with Windows 7 may cause unexpected issue.

Furthermore, I suggest to update driver like VGA card, also update the BIOS to the latest version.

If the issue persists, you can temporally remove the game to see if the same issue occurs. Also login with Safe Mode to see the result.

In addition, you’d better contact Toshiba for check if the hardware have problem.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:18 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:47 AM
  • I suggest trying to get any software from Toshiba that they have for your laptop specially chip-set software updates, I believe your issue "may" be caused by hard drive controller software. While I can not guarantee I'm right I'm betting I am close...

I received a windows update for my hard drive controller and discovered it was the cause of my constant reboots this is why I'm suggesting this coarse of action. (I've been running for 47 days without a reboot since I found the issue and fixed it).

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi

does your problem only happen when your computer has been on for a while ? you could have problem with your computer becomming to hot,  you say you have had it for a year have you ever cleaned it for dust ?

Alot of computer has a default setting to shut down a computer when it becomes to hot, to avoid damage to components.

You can check for this in your BIOS or you can download Motherboard monitor - http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this issue only occur when you play that game?

Please check the game is compatible with Windows 7 or not, you can check it on Windows 7 Compatibility Center. The program which incompatible with Windows 7 may cause unexpected issue.

Furthermore, I suggest to update driver like VGA card, also update the BIOS to the latest version.

If the issue persists, you can temporally remove the game to see if the same issue occurs. Also login with Safe Mode to see the result.

In addition, you’d better contact Toshiba for check if the hardware have problem.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:47 AM
  • I suggest trying to get any software from Toshiba that they have for your laptop specially chip-set software updates, I believe your issue "may" be caused by hard drive controller software. While I can not guarantee I'm right I'm betting I am close...

I received a windows update for my hard drive controller and discovered it was the cause of my constant reboots this is why I'm suggesting this coarse of action. (I've been running for 47 days without a reboot since I found the issue and fixed it).

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:49 PM
  • you could also try locating your crash dump reports and posting it here, if the idea I gave doesn't work we have some people here who do amazingly well at diagnosing an issue by reading them.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hi

does your problem only happen when your computer has been on for a while ? you could have problem with your computer becomming to hot,  you say you have had it for a year have you ever cleaned it for dust ?

Alot of computer has a default setting to shut down a computer when it becomes to hot, to avoid damage to components.

You can check for this in your BIOS or you can download Motherboard monitor - http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:41 AM