none
No option for user name and password login Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP envy 4 core i5 which I upgraded to Windows 10 from Win 8.1

It have worked with a few on and off small problems with connecting to the network and downloading mail which I got a solution to online

Recently the machine went off after loss of power and on restart it kept going through a loop of restarting.

Now after going to safe mode and restarting,

I no longer get a login prompt to enter my username & password!

I get the three icons in the bottom right corner for Network, Ease of Use, and Shutdown/Restart.  Absolutely no dialogs for username & password.

What could this be, I have struggled since Last week for a solution

Regards

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:59 AM

Answers

• I shall suggest you to reboot your system and recheck the issue.

If the above doesn't help then boot in to Safe mode again. If you could log in there then check the following settings:

Settings > Select Users and accounts > Open Sign-in options

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:47 PM

All replies

• I get the three icons in the bottom right corner for Network, Ease of Use, and Shutdown/Restart.

Press Shift key and hold > click Restart from the Power icon > click "Restart anyway" if you were asked to confirm the action > wait > click Troubleshoot .

From there you can do a Reset of the PC, System Restore , Image backup Restore if you have created one.

Take your pick.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:42 PM

If the above doesn't help then boot in to Safe mode again. If you could log in there then check the following settings:

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:47 PM

tried that, no respond

followed below instructions

Once you can boot into the command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:yes"
    and click Enter. This will activate hidden administrator account.

4. Now, close command prompt and remove installation media. Boot back to Windows 10 normal mode and sign in to Administrator account. You do not need a password for hidden admin account.

5. Create a new administrator account from the admin account.

6. Once you created a new account (Steps to create new account will be provided in the end), sign out of the hidden admin account and then boot into the newly created account.

7. When you have successfully signed into the new account, copy all the files from the following path c:/Users/Forgotten_Account_Name to a secure path.   

8. Now, you can disable the hidden admin account and use the new account.

9. To disable hidden admin account press Windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

10. In the Elevated Command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:no"
    and click Enter. This will disable hidden administrator account.  

You can now use the newly created admin account to login to the system.

To create a new test user account follow the steps below:

1. Right click on the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. Type net user NewAccount password /add and click Enter.
    3. Type net localgroup Administrators NewAccount /add and click Enter.
    4. Log off from the system and login to the new user account.
    5. If your start menu and other applications work fine then you can transfer all your data to the new account.
    6. Remember your new account name is "NewAccount" and its password is "password" as mentioned in the commands.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:19 PM
  • now trying to login as admin but it's looping at Welcome after login

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:20 PM
  • now trying to login as admin but it's looping at Welcome after login

Now am getting the  below message

Critical Error

start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try fix it the next time you sign in

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:35 PM
  • I gave you a suggestion.

Apparently you decline to try it.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:45 PM
  • not yet reset the pc through system restore
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:03 PM
  • not yet reset the pc through system restore
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:03 PM
  • Press Shift key and hold > click Restart from the Power icon,

that I did.

PC system restore not yet. it maybe my next option.

I think my hdd may have issues because this started after loss of power and the battery drained so laptop suddenly went off

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

We hope your issue has been resolved, if you've found solution by yourself. We would appreciate it if you could share with us and mark it as answer. system restore would be your first option for this kind of issue. it only restore your system settings and registry without affecting your personal file.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 8:13 AM