none
test the recovery of backed up database. RRS feed

• Question

• problem : DPM backup is working fine but I want to make sure that I can recover each database I backup to make sure that everything is ok

MY environment

I have 2 mailbox mbx1 and mbx2 server members in DAG1 group

MBX1 has 3 active databases named man,it,eh and 3 passive databases nav,users,investy

MBX2 has 3 active databases named nav,users,investy and 3 passive databases named man,it,eh

I have a DPM 2010

I have one protection group named exchange-dag contains the following

man,it,eh,nav,users,investy under MBX1

nav,users,investy,man,it,eh under MBX2

I need to make the 2 following tasks:

Test all databases I 'm backing up to make sure that I can restore the bached up database after that I will delete the recovery I did in a production environment

2- test a recovery of mailbox

so could you review the steps that mentioned below to do these tasks and if you have any comment please inform me because I’ll do that in a production environment.

Restore a database

1-create a recovery database in my exchange server using the following command

new-mailboxdatabase –recovery “recoverydb” -ebfilepath “D:\restore\recoverydb.edb” –logfolderpath “D:\restore” –server ExchangeServerName

2- then go to recovery tab in DPM server ,right click the database I need to recover then in specify destination window I'll choose the exchange server and write the name of the recovery database I previously created in step one

3-wait until the recovery process finished

4- unmount the recovery database

5- navigate to D:\restoreand issue command eseutil /p recoverydb ,to ensure that the database is healthy

6-mount the database ,then issue the command

get-mailboxstatistics -database recovery to ensure that it contains all mailboxes

testing mailbox recovery

1-create a recovery database in my exchange server

new-mailboxdatabase –recovery “recoverydb” -ebfilepath “D:\restore\recoverydb.edb” –logfolderpath “D:\restore” –server ExchangeServerName

2-then go to recovery tab in DPM server ,right click the mailbox I need to recover for example user1 then in specify destination window I'll choose the exchange server and write the name of the recovery database I previously created in step one

3-wait until the recovery process finished

unmount the recovery database

- navigate to D:\restoreand issue command eseutil /p recoverydb , to ensure that the database is healthy

6-mount the database ,then issue the command

get-mailboxstatistics -database recovery to ensure that it contains all mailboxes

7-restore the mailbox of user1 to the mailbox of test user 2 so that it will not over-right the existing mailbox of user-1using the command

Restore-Mailbox -Identity user2 -RecoveryDatabase MyRecoveryDatabase -RecoveryMailbox user1 -TargetFolder Recovery

Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:27 AM

All replies