quick question about configuring WSUS on Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all-

I've stood up my new server 2016 vm in esxi and have installed wsus.  all good so far.

I have a small group of systems now utilizing this server as their update source, still good.

Plan:

I'd like to be sure my wsus server can handle/distribute windows 10 updates or upgrades (the verbiage is all mixed up across the internet) - for example, pushing Windows 10 upgrades to go from version 1607->1703.  I'd also like to use the new WSUS server to upgrade my remaining Windows 7 clients directly to Windows 10.  (from everything I've read, this can and has been done.)

With that being said, I've read through a ton of the nightmare-ish posts about Windows 10 update compatibility and required hotfixes for WSUS on Server 2012/2012R2 in order to accomplish my goal stated above.  This is partly why I skipped that version of OS and WSUS and went with 2016. 

So my question - does WSUS on server 2016 have the same pitfalls and problems as 2012/R2?  Are there any hotfixes/updates/patches/tweaks that need to be installed in order to achieve my goal above?  Or did MS fix the problems plaguing 2012's wsus in 2016??

thank you in advance for your time!

Tim Magnuson | MCTS, MCITP | MCCA 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com

Monday, November 6, 2017 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>With that being said, I've read through a ton of the nightmare-ish posts about Windows 10 update compatibility and required hotfixes for WSUS on Server 2012/2012R2 in order to accomplish my goal stated above.

Yes, windows 2016 WSUS server doesn't  need to install "ESD decryption " and KB2919355 to deploy win10 upgrades .

Just need to sync win10 updates/upgrades and deploy it.

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tim Magnuson Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:26 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>With that being said, I've read through a ton of the nightmare-ish posts about Windows 10 update compatibility and required hotfixes for WSUS on Server 2012/2012R2 in order to accomplish my goal stated above.

Yes, windows 2016 WSUS server doesn't  need to install "ESD decryption " and KB2919355 to deploy win10 upgrades .

Just need to sync win10 updates/upgrades and deploy it.

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Tim Magnuson Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:26 PM
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Thank you Elton!  I'll proceed as planned and re-post if I have any issues!

thanks

tm

Tim Magnuson | MCTS, MCITP | MCCA 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 3:26 PM