none
File Check-Out Option Sometimes Not Available on Project SP Sites RRS feed

• Question

• We are finding that people are unable to check-out or in files in SharePoint sites linked to Project Server projects during certain periods of the day.  When the users clicks the drop down on a file in a document library the option to check out is missing.  This currently is occuring every morning for about 1.5 to 2 hours (approximately between 7 and 9 AM).  Once outside that time period the users can proceed to check out and in files without issue until the next morning.  We experience this issue on several Project SharePoint sites (subsites under one site collection) and encountered the same issue on all.  We do not have any quotas set up on any sites.

We also tested SharePoint site collections not linked to Project and found we had no issues with checking in or out files on those sites during this time period.  All of our site collections, including the project site collection, are homed on the same SharePoint server.

Our initial thoughts were URL length so we had them shorten folder and filenames to try to eliminate it as an issue.  Here is a sample url linking to a file that can't be not opened during the time period in question (some of the url has been obfuscated but the length of the url was maintained):

http://abcdef.abcdef.com/sites/projectmanagement/CS%20-%20ABCDEFGHI%20-%20Phase%20II%20PAS%20-%20Bourgeois/Project%20Documents/DEV/Offshore%20Status_Clarification/Alg%20Creation%20Clarifications.xlsx

We are running Project Server 2007 and Office SharePoint Server 2007 with Office Server SP 2 and SharePoint Services SP3.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:01 PM Project Server user (From:SharePoint - Collaboration (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 3:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• That's definitely an odd one.  Are you using AD sync for your resources and users?  If so, maybe during the morning, the sync is removing folks from groups, and then dropping them back in....which could perhaps be causing the issue.  It's a bit farfetched, but possible I suppose.  Check the Resource AD Sync and the Group AD Sync in Project Server to see if the times line up with the issues you're experiencing.
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:57 PM
  • We do not have AD Enterprise Pool Syncing enabled.  We only have User profile importing enabled in Shared Services.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Does the Project Server queue report anything during that time?  What about the ULS logs?
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

I have never come across this kind of issue before.. how strange...

I do have a couple of questions that may help in troubleshooting further:

When the check out option dissapears, are there any javascript errors seen in the browser toolbar?

As you mentioned it only happens on that one site collection, are there any timer jobs kicking in during that time, is the site collection being backed up then?

Is the offending site collection in a seperate contentdb to the other test site collection? Does anything happen between those hours on the database server?

Regards,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:38 AM
  • In the Queue I see about 6 jobs  daily of Waiting To Be Processed status.  These jobs consist of the type Project - Project Checkin,Project - Archive Project, or Timesheet - Archive System Settings and the errors are almost all from 1 project.

The ULS Logs are clean mostly reporting E-mail batch processing and various Shared Services processing occuring like portal analytics, query log processing and usage processing.

There are no errors that occur in the browser.  The Drop down option functions normally but Check Out is missing from the list.

According to Central Administration - Operations - Timer Job Status  I do not see any jobs that are executing during the time period in question.

The content database for the project site collection is our primary content database and holds most of our other site collections as well.  As mentioned earlier other site collections are not experiencing the issue, only the one utilitized by Project Server.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hi

I missed this in your original post, but have you looked at patching up to the latest Cumulative Update for PS2007 and SharePoint? Your still running at SP2 I notice.  More details available at http://blogs.technet.com/b/epmcontent/archive/2010/12/15/project-server-2010-december-cu.aspx

If you install these are still run into the issue, then I would suggest raising a support ticket with MS.

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:34 PM
  • One more thought...

How are your permissions assigned to the workspaces? If they are using Project Server security, have you tried assigning security directly to see if the problem still occurs?

Alex Burton
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:24 AM