none
USB reboots to USB after OS Install RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with a brand new USB media i have created to install Windows 10.

I do as follow:

- Enable UEFI in BIOS and disable Legacy ROM (All DEll laptops) so at this point the only boot option is USB when i press F12

- I start the deployment, when the OS Install task is finished the laptop reboots

Instead of rebooting using the Boot manager, it reboots to the USB key again so i get the message a previous deployment was running do you want to start a new one

How could i force the laptop to reboot to the disk instaed of the USB?

Friday, March 3, 2017 9:08 AM

All replies

• I am currently running into this with several new HP model laptops (ZBook 15 G3, EliteBook 820 G3, ProBook 640 G2).  It appears to be a BIOS/UEFI issue and not a MDT issue. 

Friday, March 3, 2017 7:56 PM
  • Yes it is a BIOS issue i was wondering if there is a way to script to force a certain device at next boot
    Monday, March 6, 2017 11:14 AM
  • I spent many days working on this problem and was unable to find a solution. There's a way with cctk to manipulate the UEFI boot order. The problem is that the boot order is more complicated with UEFI... so to adjust the boot order, you have to pass an identifier for the disk, and that information is difficult or impossible to obtain. There is no setting that I could find where you could simply disable USB booting or move the USB flash"down" or the hard disk "up" in the boot order. I am not saying it is impossible, but I feel like I have some experience with the dell cctk tools and was unable to come up with a way or reliably adjusting the UEFI boot order. I will be anxious to follow this thread.
    Monday, March 6, 2017 1:26 PM
  • Just a thought for a workaround. Try to get the USB to prompt for a key press before booting. Something like this:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-add-press-any-key-to-boot-from-usb-to-bootable-windows-usb/

Not sure if that will work for EFI though...

Monday, March 6, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Were you able to find a solution to this? I am having the same issue with my Surface Pro 3's, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0e16989f-b587-45fd-a0d0-beb1fd9b5145/surface-pro-3-keeps-booting-to-usb?forum=mdt 

Friday, July 28, 2017 4:07 AM
  • Configure the boot order in the bios so the internal hdd has priority over usb boot, you could look at the dell cctk to automate bios configuration in winpe before the ts reboots. I have this issue with several usb installs also the trick is to remove the usb key untill prompted by the ts to reinsert after it has booted to windows.

Sunday, July 30, 2017 4:16 PM
  • Thomas,

If you take out the USB key after you've initiated the task sequence does it proceed to boot off hard drive after restart or does it fail to load altogether?  I suspect it will fail to load, as this is generally not a boot order issue.

Although I don't have visibility into your TS but here's what I would recommend:

Assuming this machine is running legacy BIOS and you intend to make the flip to UEFI as part of a new computer build task sequence:

1.  Your first task would be to wipe out all partitions and create a primary partition (100% capacity) using MBR

2.  Do your LEGACY to UEFI switch using your vendor tool (i.e. CCTK for DELL)

3.  Introduce another Format Task (GPT) right after UEFI is activated and create two partitions: 

(Primary) 500 MB Fixed FAT32 (Variable: =  TSUEFIDrive)

(Primary) 100% NTFS 

4.  Reboot to WINPE and continue with rest of your task sequence.  Because you have created a UEFI partition, the Task Sequence can successfully download the WINPE WIM to the partition and continue with the rest of the task sequence.

Jeff

• Edited by Jeff Cheah Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:26 PM
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:22 PM
  • In my experience, before moving to PXE LAN booting, if you set up the customsettings.ini and Bootstrap files, booting from the USB gets you into your MDT process. Once I see the OS installing, I remove the USB and never need to reinsert it at all. MDT should boot the pc back to itself until the entire process completes.

As far as UEFI or Legacy, MDT can determine which setting each pc is and format accordingly. If you set the pc to UEFI on the pc, MDT will format it UEFI. If you set it to Legacy, then MDT formats as BIOS. Set it once, in the BIOS, before booting to MDT. Also, you can specify how you want the partitions set up right in the Task Sequence itself. MDT will wipe the drive and format it all in one process.
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:18 AM