none
Exchange 2010 through DPM 2010 - Disk Data Movement RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have an Exchange 2010 SP1 Setup with DPM 2010 Backup. We have allocated 9 Disks (13 TB) in storage pool. All the Replica Volumes and Recovery Point Volumes spread across the disks.

Our storage team found that, Out of this 9 Disks, Three Disks are Misaligned disks (Details Given below). So, they want to move the data to new disks.

Disk 1 - 2 Tb

Disk 2 - 2 TB

Disk 3 - 1 TB

I have gone through the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM and dpmsync-reallocate replica option to move the data. But, Data size is huge. It will take much time ( Days) to move the data to new disk.

Please let me know if you have any other alternate options to move the disk and let me know how long it will take to move 2 TB Data to new disk.

Let's say, If I directly remove the disk from storage pool , All the replica will give " Disk Volume Missing Error". I will add the new disk and start the create fresh copy of the replica to new disk. 

But , is it possible keep the old disks for data recovery purpose. If yes, Please let me know how to do that.

I am struggling to move the data. Please help. This is urgent.

Regards

Manoj

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Manoj,

Can you tell me more about this ? 

<snip>
    Three Disks are Misaligned disks (Details Given below).
    >snip<

Misaligned in what way ?

Windows 2008 auto-aligns all volumes created by default. 
    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc249572(PROT.10).aspx - search for VDS\Align

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:45 PM

All replies

• It shouldn't take that long to migrate data from one disk to another if the disks only hold 1-2 TB each. The only time consuming issue is that you have to wait for the disk retention period (i.e. the number of days you keep your recovery points on disk) to expire the data on the old disks. DPM will remove the disk right away from the GUI but in disk management you will notice that volumes still exists on the disks. If you wait for them to expire, all volumes should be gone on the old disks.

If you don't care at all about the recovery points you could remove the disks and do the dpmsync -reallocate routine. But this is really quick and dirty ;-)

I'm using the migration script quite often and ran into my fair share of problems with it, but I still think it's better to migrate the data than to remove it. About a week ago I migrated 27 TB of data in one go to another disk array which took about a day.

Keeping the old disks doesn't seem like a good idea. If you have a tape library you could create recovery points on tape, delete the recovery points on the disks and use the tape recovery points to rebuild your replica on the new disks, but this is a very time consuming process as well...

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your update.

As per my understanding, Dpmsync-reallocate replica option is for only creating new replica for datasource in to new disk. In our setup, Disk has hosted both replica volumes and recovery point volumes.

Yeah, Let's assuming that we dont care about the recovery points, How easy is it to do this ? Could you please help me with the steps to do it.

Alternatively, Is it possible to have the last (Latest) copy of the recovery point and delete the  previous recovery points ?

Please suggest.

Regards

Manoj

Monday, April 2, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Hi ,

Any idea ? Can you help.

Regards

Manoj

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Manoj,

I am moving the thread since this is a storage issue not an Exchange one.  Someone will follow-up soon.

Andy

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Thanks Andy.

Regards

Manoj

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

Can you tell me more about this ? 

<snip>
    Three Disks are Misaligned disks (Details Given below).
    >snip<

Misaligned in what way ?

Windows 2008 auto-aligns all volumes created by default. 
    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc249572(PROT.10).aspx - search for VDS\Align

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 23, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Closing thread for housekeeping - reopen or start a new one if you still have the need.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 9:46 PM