none
DNS Policy on Win2k16 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to migrate from named/bind to Windows 2016 DNS.

I've a policy zone on named, that zone works with the follow behaviour: if a record match the zone it will be resolved with the information contained in zone document, otherwise it will be resolved using public dns.

This is my configuration on named.conf:

options {
           [...]
            response-policy {
                 zone "contoso.com";
            };
           [...]
    }

zone "contoso.com" in {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/masters/contoso.com.policy";
            allow-query { localhost; };
            check-names ignore;
    };

And in contoso.com.policy file I've a simple zone file, with the records to override.

I was checking the documentation for DnsServerZoneScope and DnsServerQueryResolutionPolicy in Windows, but it doesn't seem to works in the same way. In detail when I try to create a DnsServerZoneScope I receive this error:

Add-DnsServerZoneScope : The zone contoso.com was not found on server DC01.

This means that I need a primary zone with the same name, in order to add a scope, and it's not my use case.

Do you have any suggestion on how to obtain the same results as the configuration I've now on bind?

I'd like to migrate all the zones on Windows in order to consolidate my DNS zones in AD

Thanks

Monday, December 17, 2018 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A zone scope is a unique instance of the zone. A DNS zone can have multiple zone scopes, with each zone scope containing its own set of DNS records. The same record can be present in multiple scopes, with different IP addresses or the same IP addresses.

I suggest you use the DNS policy for Split-Brain DNS deployment.

Please refer to the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/dns/deploy/split-brain-dns-deployment  

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 24, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Friday, December 28, 2018 2:36 AM