Intranet and extranet in the same server? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a virtual server with Server 2008 R2 standard

One year ago we deploy SharePoint 2010 standard and develop the intranet using team sites using the default zone. This is integrated with the AD. The exchange server is in a different server and uses Exchange 2010.

Now we want to create a web application accessible over internet using the same SharePoint deployment.

Can I just create a new web application using a different IIS or should I have a different server with another SP deployment for this purpose?

If this is possible, how can I change the zone of the web application (default to extranet) in the new web application? When creating the web application I only have the default zone enabled.

We also want some internal and external users to have access to the external web application. Can the internal users use the AD to authenticate or should I have an authentication form both internal and external? 

If I need a different authentication form, do you know a plugin for SharePoint 2010 that I can use to authenticate users?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Danilo

Danilo

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:33 PM

Answers

• If you want to use the same server and same content, you can "Extend the Web Application" to a different zone, by default SharePoint allows you 5 zones per web application, realize though that the zones are just labels, having one zone versus another means absolutely nothing in regards to functionality or security of the site.

Then simply publish it through the firewallby openning port 80 to the site with whatever URL you specifiecd. You may also want to consider using different authentication for each zone, internal AD (auto login in on intranet), and outside accessible use some kind of forms/claims based authentication.

• Marked as answer by Qiao Wei Friday, September 28, 2012 5:51 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 4:41 PM