none
MDT 2013 - Windows 2012 R2 - Need Assistance !! RRS feed

• Question

• I have my original question posted here  . Below are my few questions.

i) Do i need to have MDT installed on another server ? I basically want to take entire image of ServerA (including application,settings,regkeys etc) ,create .iso and deploy on other servers. 

ii) I have MDT installed on ServerA (same server of which i want to take an image), i followed instructions from "Quick Start Guide for Lite Touch Installation.docx", i do see that my LiteTouch.iso file is only 300MB, i would expect this file to be around 5gb. I am assuming this is the file i would copy on to other baremetal servers and have it restored? 

iii) Also what option should i select for task sequence, should it be "Standard Client Task Sequence" or "Sysprep"

Any help is highly appreciated.

<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:19 PM

All replies

• I would very strongly suggest watching these to get a good understanding of MDT: http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Videos/MDT2010LiteTouchUnleashedVideos.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:20 PM
    1. You will need to have MDT installed on another server or workstation. Basically, anything that can contain your deployment share, which is where you scripts and files reside and where your captured image will be stored.
    2. The Litetouch ISO is for Windows PE environment, and that's why the size of the file is ~300MB.
    3. Standard Client Task Sequence will install the OS, drivers, apps and, if you selected the option in the wizard, it will also perform a sysprep and capture. The Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence is for syspreping and capturing an OS that may already be deployed; it just runs the sysprep and capture step.

If you are new to MDT, you may want to visit YouTube and watch a few videos about how the process works in general. I think MDT could work quite well for what you need but it may take a bit to wrap your head around if you aren't familiar with deployment methodologies.

-Nick O.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:35 PM