File Associations Through Command, Script, Registry? In Win 10 for multiple users. RRS feed

• Question

• File Associations Through Command, Script, Registry? In Win 10 for multiple users.

Hello everyone, I have a question about file association. In Win 10, there are predefined OS extensions that will be opened by default, such as .jpg, .jpg, .bmp, etc. We have computers in the network where hundreds of users will report to each computer and it is not possible the IT administrator logged the profile to each and every man by selecting in which programs the individual file extensions would open. This has to be done by some skrip, registers, etc. I have been looking for colleagues for a very long time, but no functional solution exists.

In Win 7, the command "assoc" and "ftype"functioned. Here, in Win 10, this command does not work.

Does anyone have any functional solution to this problem?

Mira

Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Miroslav Spatny,

In Windows 10, we can no longer use Group Policy Preferences to control file associations, because these settings are now user-based, instead of system-based as they were in Windows 7. To deploy the default file associations, you first have to configure the settings on a reference machine and then export the configuration in an XML file that you can deploy in your network.

https://4sysops.com/archives/default-file-associations-in-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hi Mira,

Any update?

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:38 PM