none
Unexpected behavior in master project when software finds invalid code value(s) in lookup tables RRS feed

• Question

•  

When a master with rolled up subprojects is opened (i.e., the subprojects are not yet “loaded”), Microsoft Project will display an error when certain subprojects are expanded (i.e., the subprojects are “loaded”). Additionally, after expanding a subproject that raises the error, the error appears each time a subsequent subproject is expanded.

When subprojects that are not affected by this issue are expanded first in the master, the error does not appear. When any subprojects affected by this issue are expanded the error appears and will reappear each time for any remaining subprojects that are expanded for the first time. Once all subprojects in the master have been expanded (i.e. all subprojects are “loaded”), the error does not appear again when the [loaded] subprojects are expanded/contracted, etc.  

Project displays:

The value you entered does not exist in the lookup table of this code

All values must be predefined in the code lookup table. Contact your server administrator to get new values added.

All customizations for all task/resource local custom fields have been removed. The error is persists. The unexpected behavior in the master appears to be the result of a value the software believes it has or has found inexplicably and the value cannot be resolved to the code mask or lookup table in which it is defined. It is understood that values must be predefined before those values can appear in the field that has been assigned to the lookup table and will display the values.

The problem is no lookup tables have been defined in any project, contains no code masks (no local custom field is customized to use a lookup table). I’m stumped.

This issue does not seem to be result of lingering garbage or invalid data within the file that would be concern to believe the file has been corrupted. I have tried ensuring what data I can by exporting to/importing from XML and after trying new files with fresh globals and the problem remains.    

The behavior described above is consistent when connected to Project Server, and when using the Computer profile with the same master and subproject files when a copy of the fileset has been saved down to a folder on the local machine with cross project links referencing the local files (happens still when the offline files does not know anything about the server).

I’m getting tired of spinning my wheels on the issue and am looking for suggestions/answer on what to do next. Does this behavior at all sound like an issue that may have the potential of being a bug or defect that I should turn around and contact Microsoft advanced support about?

Your help is well appreciated in advance and your kind patience for taking the time to understand/explore my issue.

Thanks again,

Matt Rondeau

Matt Rondeau
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:41 PM

Answers

• If I am not mistaken,  Project Server General Questions and Answers forum at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/threads is the right place to post. Pls also check the following thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/866c785f-114d-40e1-878f-822e66c5ba46

Regards. --Ismet
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:17 PM

All replies

• If I am not mistaken,  Project Server General Questions and Answers forum at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/threads is the right place to post. Pls also check the following thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/866c785f-114d-40e1-878f-822e66c5ba46

Regards. --Ismet
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback. Point taken on proper place that forum questions should live. It would be better if it found its own way into the proper forum especially when the lines are blurred. But there are rules as to what "is" and "is not" for that forum, I may have been a little indifferent to that and used here as my starting piece anyway. Thank you for the guidance on that. 

The link you have sent me looks promising. I am going to look at that and will follow up on how that turns out. Thank you for sharing.

I appreciate your help.

- Matt R. 

Matt Rondeau
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:30 PM
  • You're welcome.
    Regards. --Ismet
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:49 AM