Outlook 2011 Directory Service setting for MicrosoftOnline RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MicrosoftOnline with Outlook 2011. While email and calendar are working fine and in mail I am able to select names from the Global Address List, the Contacts section does not search the Global Address List. If I include red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com to the Directory server, the gear keeps spinning for a while and changes in a yellow triangle. In case it is not filled I get a yellow triangle.

When I use Apple Mail and Apple Address Book with the same server I have no problems accessing the GAL. Also access to the GAL works fine on my iPhone and iPad.

Friday, November 12, 2010 6:42 PM

Answers

• ok, a few answers to the past 2 questions:

1. For BPOS-S, Contact Search does not work as this requires an exposed LDAP server, which we don't provide.
    2. When you start typing in the TO/CC/BCC fields, it performs an EWS lookup which is why you get search results

As for location, I do not know if EWS searches on this specifically, but I'm not aware that location is a searchable option.

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:40 PM

All replies

• Stan,

On your address list, do you have a list titled <your Domain> AL?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:15 AM
  • Since Outlook 2011 is a Mac client, it won't have access to an OAB at this time.

As for searching contacts, I had mine sync with the Address Book in OSX and provides any contacts I have had in the option when I click To and select Contacts from the dropdown.

How do you have your client configured? 

If it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be fun, but why's it got to be this much fun.
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Hi Richard,

1. In the account settings I have added as directory server red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com

1. In Contacts Search I have a select box All Folders. When I click I get the following popup:

All Folders

ICT Labs (grayed)

ICT Labs Directory

Directory (LDAP)

Contacts

Suggested Contacts

On My Computer (grayed)

Address Book

When I search the Contacts or Suggested Contacts no problem (of course)

When I select ICT Labs Directory or Directory LDAP I get the spinning gear and a yellow triangle with exclamation mark.

However when I create a new mail and start typing a name I get a popup with two parts:

Contacts and recent addresses

with various names, email addresses and Other

Directory

with the name I am looking for from the GAL.

Regards, Stan

Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:48 PM
  • I have no problem running Apple Mail, Address book and Calendar with BPOS. All appears to be supported well by Apple.

The issue is with Outlook 2011: new mail has access to the GAL, Contacts has not...

(See my scenario description above in response to Richard for my account setting for the directory server).

I assume this will be fixed by Office365 early next year

Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:52 PM
  • I would also like to know this as our entire userbase will be switching to their new BPOS accounts as of next week.  1/4 of them are Mac users and we have installed Outlook 2011 for them.

Monday, November 22, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Stan, please send an email to v-datrau@microsoft.com (myself) with screenshots of your configuration.  I can also provide you with the proper configuration as well.

Can you confirm that the profile's name is ICT Labs?  Otherwise there may be an issue with the configuration in general.

Steve, are you having this issue as well?

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:37 PM
  • I've been searching high and low to find the Directory Service URL and base search name to put in Outlook 2011 as we currently cannot access a Global Address List on it. We can on Outlook 2003 and 2010 on Windows as they have the sign in app.

Putting in the same url as the the one in the Server field (http://autodiscover-red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com/ewa/exchange.asmx) or the same url as Stan, doesnt work.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 12:30 PM
  • First, the URL for directory services would not indicate autodiscover.  I would indicate red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com.  If you have access to Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition, you can upgrade from this (after confirming it works successfully) and then Outlook 2011 will autoconfigure based on the settings in Entourage 2008 WSE.

As for the specific URL, I did not need to indicate one when I upgraded.  Send me an email (v-datrau@microsoft.com) and I will test this on Monday when I am back in the office.

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:12 PM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:11 PM

• Unfortunately we are unable to install the Web Services Edition patch to the Mac laptops due to the updates that had been applied to the system by the corporation we are currently in network separation from. Which is why we decided to try Outlook 2011

I've tried the red002  url in the directory service field but dont get a GAL. Currently we can access the BPOS address list when we start typing the name in the 'To' field, Outlook 2011 does an LDAP lookup, but we'd really like the full GAL.

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Thank you all for your patience while I was testing.

I've confirmed that NOTHING should be indicated in the Directory Services section (this is specifically for an on-premise LDAP service to access AD).

User lookup is not available via the Contact Search option.  Only locally synced contacts (either via Address Book or mailbox contacts synced).

Directory Lookup is REALLY COOL in Outlook 2011.  Open a new email and start typing the name of the contact you are looking for and you will see an AutoComplete option that starts searching the GAL marked "Directory" and this performs a live search (via EWS) of the GAL.

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:21 AM
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Thank you all for your patience while I was testing.

I've confirmed that NOTHING should be indicated in the Directory Services section (this is specifically for an on-premise LDAP service to access AD).

User lookup is not available via the Contact Search option.  Only locally synced contacts (either via Address Book or mailbox contacts synced).

Directory Lookup is REALLY COOL in Outlook 2011.  Open a new email and start typing the name of the contact you are looking for and you will see an AutoComplete option that starts searching the GAL marked "Directory" and this performs a live search (via EWS) of the GAL.

Thank you for taking time to test and clearify the limitations of Outlook 2011 Daniel Trautman.

Let me just say it is REALLY NOT COOL that the contact search does not use the address lists or GAL avalible on the exchange server. This must be considered a bug since you can do a live search in the GAL via writing a new email. Lacking this feature is close to making Outlook 2011 useless for most of our users. When can we expect this to be fixed?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:44 PM
  • ^ Seconded

A further annoyance is that in it's current state, Outlook 2011 cannot differentiate between 'normal' mailboxes and D list email addresses. Meaning an Outlook 2011 user cannot check D list members and has to go on blind faith that the list is up to date.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:54 PM
  • Steve, can you clarify what you mean by this?  If you are referring to whether the Directory (GAL) is up to date, how is that different from any other method of access, even OWA?
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Thomas, this feature is the same in Entourage 2008 WSE as well.  The feature has never existed without the use of an LDAP server.

If you feel strongly about this feature, you can submit product feedback via this link: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Trautman Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Adding on to Stan's question, we are in the process of creating training materials for Outlook 2011. It would be very helpful to have answers to these questions:

1. Is it true you cannot access the global address list from Contacts Search on the E-mail Home tab?
    2. Is it true you can access the global address list when sending a new message? If so, and the GAL isn't being searched, what can be done to fix it?
    We are connected to a 2010 Exchange server, and I am using Mac 10.6. Any info would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Any update to this? We have a hosted acccount through msoutlookonline and I can access GAL fine through iCal and Addressbook, but Outlook 2011 is weird. I am trying to create a meeting and while the information pulls in the [TO:] field I cannot see user or resource mailboxes in [Location:] unless i search and specifically select my search my directory.

Is location not meant to be a searchable field directly? If iCal does it and Outlook 2010 does, why doesn't Outlook 2011?

Friday, April 29, 2011 7:46 PM
  • ok, a few answers to the past 2 questions:

1. For BPOS-S, Contact Search does not work as this requires an exposed LDAP server, which we don't provide.
    2. When you start typing in the TO/CC/BCC fields, it performs an EWS lookup which is why you get search results

As for location, I do not know if EWS searches on this specifically, but I'm not aware that location is a searchable option.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:40 PM