Cannot read CD's or DVD's RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a new Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Computer and cannot get any CD Drive working.

Every time a CD is inserted the system cannot read the disk and try's to format it.

I took the CD Drive back and it was tested ok then replaced.

The new CD Drive has the same issue - always tries to format the disk.

Please help - I really need this CD Drive

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hello All, This issue has been resolved.

The confusing thing is that the DVD Drive work for the first few days and this was lost after updates were downloaded.

After talking to a Desktop Engineer at work we had a look and found the DVD Rom to be in SATA0 and the boot disk (HDD) to be in SATA1 - After changing this so the Hard Drive came before the DVD Drive and starting Windows again this was fully operational.

6Quad AMD Mainboard - Vista must run on the highest rated drive in the environment,

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:29 PM

All replies

• Hello All, This issue has been resolved.

The confusing thing is that the DVD Drive work for the first few days and this was lost after updates were downloaded.

After talking to a Desktop Engineer at work we had a look and found the DVD Rom to be in SATA0 and the boot disk (HDD) to be in SATA1 - After changing this so the Hard Drive came before the DVD Drive and starting Windows again this was fully operational.

6Quad AMD Mainboard - Vista must run on the highest rated drive in the environment,

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Hello Jarad,

I’m so glad to hear that you’ve solved the problem! Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2008 6:35 AM
  • I was having the problem of Vista trying to format all dve/cd's i inserted enen though they were not blank.  In reading your post I remembered that I had manually switched the drive letters of my two DVD/CD drives using the Computer Management console. As soon as I changed back to the original default drive letters the problem went away. 

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:21 AM