none
DPM 1801 - slow down Hyper-V VM

Question

• Hi, We have a server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Cluster and Sofs Cluster and DPM2016 and DPM1801. What I have notice is that the VM get slow file copy performance when DPM run job against the VM. I think I will open a case at MS support, but first I would like to understand a bit more about this. Is it a know issue that synchronization or consistency check can slow down hyper-V VM special Windows Server 2016. 

1."run a consistency check if a replica becomes inconsistent" 
    2."Synchronization frequency" every 15 Minutes

Will the VM be in any locked state when performing Synchronization or consistency check?
    In what way can I analysis this?

We both protect full VM and backup files.

/SaiTech

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi!

Are you running the Hyper-V VMs on the SoFS cluster? What OS are the VMs running or are they different?

Also what is the reason for having both DPM 2016 & DPM 1801?

The VM should not be in a locked state when DPM performs a synchronization or consistency check

Have you made sure that the full VM protection and the backup of files overlapping each other?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 7:18 AM
  • Thanks Leon,

Are you running the Hyper-V VMs on the SoFS cluster?
    Yes, all nodes sre Server 2012 R2.

What OS are the VMs running or are they different?

Yes, Server 2012, Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016. I am troubleshooting Server 2016 in particular because of slow windows update.

Also what is the reason for having both DPM 2016 & DPM 1801?
    I will say lack of time to upgrade to DPM 1801 on all, we use for DPM 1801 to backup Hyper-V VM. and  DPM 2016 for clasic file backup.

The VM should not be in a locked state when DPM performs a synchronization or consistency check

Have you made sure that the full VM protection and the backup of files overlapping each other?
    Not 100% i Think the risk is high, When you ask so, I Think it is not the best situation.

/SaiTech

• Edited by SaiTech Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:31 PM