How to send a link to list item by email in SharePoint 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• With SharePoint 2007 list item display form is openned in broswer and user can either copy and paste the url and send the link by email or use the browser's "Page" button and click "Send the link by email" to send the link.

With SharePoint 2010 list item display form is openned in a dialog box, the browser doesn't show the list item url and the browser's "Page" button's "Send the link by email" just sends a link to the list not the list item.

We don't want to diable the dialog box either. Please help.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:56 PM

Answers

• So you are in the list item display page. You could close that dialog, right click the item in the list view, select properties, and get the url that way.

I know this isn't exactly what you want, but you cannot easily link to the modal dialog anyway. It is rendered via JavaScript.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:44 PM

All replies

• Note that you "could" copy into the browser's URL the URL along with the rest of the path to the EditForm.aspx (example: http://siteaddress/library/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=1), making sure that the ID in the QueryString matches the item you're looking at.

However, because you've now opened up a link in a different manner than the system expected, I'm not completely sure of the ramifications.  Quick testing that I've done doesn't show a bad impact, however maybe someone on the MS side could chime in on that one.

- M

- Michael Mukalian - 2010 MS MVP SharePoint Services - MCTS: MOSS 2007 Configuration - http://www.mukalian.com/blog
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Basically with new SharePoint 2010 dialog box, there is no easy way to retrieve a url to a list item. What kind of user experience it is if end users have to take a 15 minute lesson to learn know how to create their DisplayForm url by hand?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Hi,

Create a new calculated column/field which shows "Send Link as Email" as HTML and write code to point the list item.

Say the field value will be "<A href='http://www.myproduct.com/ListName/DispForm.asp?ID=<Item ID>'>Send link as Mail</a>"

Here the <Item ID> should be coded to fetch corresponding item id. Then add content editor webpart and paste code which shows HTML content as HTML output.  Refer : http://blog.pathtosharepoint.com/2008/09/01/using-calculated-columns-to-write-html/

Now you'll get what you want. This is not so difficult and can be done within minutes.

All the Best Ethand!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:08 AM
  • With IE (Not Chrome, not sure about firefox) you can hold down CTRL and click the title - this then opens up the edit form with ID?=XXX (i.e. no dialog) in a new window - then easy to copy and paste into email.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Hi Ethand,

you can access the item url and put it in email as follows:

open email window in SPD 2010...

in the Email Body, Add a hyperlink (you can ad it by clicking a button present at the right side of the tool pane)

Add suitable text for your url in "Text to display"

In the Address field, click on the button labeled with "..."

click "Add or change lookup"

In datasource, select "Workflow Context"

in Field From from Source, select "Current Item URL"

Press OK and you are done...

hopes this helps..

• Proposed as answer by Gert Cuppens Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:40 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 9:27 AM
  • What do you mean by "open email window in SPD 2010..."?
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Open Sharepoint Designer workflow, add action "Email these users", click on users....

hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Why do I need to create a workflow? User only wants to send a link to list item on demand.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:28 AM
  • according to my understandings of your first post, you are trying to get item url in email, am i correct ?? if i am, then you can apply this process by making a List workflow as well...

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:37 AM
  • So you are in the list item display page. You could close that dialog, right click the item in the list view, select properties, and get the url that way.

I know this isn't exactly what you want, but you cannot easily link to the modal dialog anyway. It is rendered via JavaScript.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:44 PM
  • We dont' want to link to the Modal dialog, just need to open the display form in browser. Right click the item, copy the url, paste into url is too many operations for end users.

We solve the problem by totally disabled the Modal Dialog.

Friday, October 22, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Why does a document list behave differently than an item list?  You can easily send a URL to a file in a document library.  Why should the user interface be different for shareing a link to an item in an issue tracking list?  Makes no sense at all.

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Hi Ethand,

I also have the same issue. I also want to send URL with list iteam. I had created the workflow using share point designer 2010 but it sends the link for the list not for the list item.

Can you please help me to solve this issue?

Thank You.

• Proposed as answer by Nicpb Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:54 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nicpb Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:54 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hi Ethand,

I propose this answer to your question:

Links are easy in Lists:

Open List

• Scroll to item
    • Right click on the title of the item
    • From the right click menu, select Copy Shortcut
    • Open blank email message
    • Paste shortcut to message
    • Send message
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:55 AM
  • This works well, but I am trying to get the link to the Infopath form in the browser.  It keeps asking to open Infopath client.  Any thoughts how to fix this?

Here is the URL that your suggestion above provides:  .../storebackupteam/NAS%20Request%20Site%20Test/NAS%20Request%202/blob-10.xml  (Note: I deleted the first part of the URL for security reasons)

I've already tried:  Current Item:Name(linked to document with edit menu), Current Item:Server Relative URL, and Workflow Context:Current Item URL

They all try to open the form in the InfoPath client, not the browser.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Royceao Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Royceao Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:25 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:49 PM
  • I found the answer to my delema at:

http://www.bizsupportonline.net/browserforms/create-sharepoint-designer-workflow-send-email-link-infopath-browser-form.htm

This works perfectly!  I can dynamically create the link for a form submitted by any requestor, and send it by email so that when it is clicked, the form opens in a browser.

• Proposed as answer by Royceao Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:27 PM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:27 PM