Internet explorer cannot display webpage on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, every one. I have a problem with my IE. I keep getting the message "Internet explorer cannot display webpage". I've tried to all the basic stuff with no luck. I've also tried most of the things outlined in the following thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaie/thread/2bdaff30-e1a3-45eb-8422-32a4cb173b7b. followed it until it asks to download Netmon 3.1. At that point I wouldn't know what to do with that information. Can anyone help with this issue that alot of people seem to be having. I have an HP Pavilion with AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core 2.00 Ghz 64-Bit Service pack 1
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:23 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Before going any further, have a test in some third-party web browser such as Firefox, Opera to confirm whether the issue is IE related or a networking issue.

If you installed some update packages or software on the computer recently, we might try restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

If the problem persists, please continue with the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

1. Temporarily disable/uninstall all Anti-Virus firewalls or programs

2. Run IE with No Add-ons

Click Start, copy and paste Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Start Search box and press Enter. Change the cookie settings and have a test.

3. Reset IE7

1) Click Start button-> Control Panel.

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, click Default level button for each icon in the Select a zone to view or change security settings.

4) Click to Programs tab, and then click the Make default button if it is not grayed out.

5) Click to Advanced tab, click Restore advanced settings button in the Settings area.

6) Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer settings area and Click OK.

7) Click Apply, and then click OK.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:16 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Before going any further, have a test in some third-party web browser such as Firefox, Opera to confirm whether the issue is IE related or a networking issue.

If you installed some update packages or software on the computer recently, we might try restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

If the problem persists, please continue with the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

1. Temporarily disable/uninstall all Anti-Virus firewalls or programs

2. Run IE with No Add-ons

Click Start, copy and paste Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Start Search box and press Enter. Change the cookie settings and have a test.

3. Reset IE7

1) Click Start button-> Control Panel.

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, click Default level button for each icon in the Select a zone to view or change security settings.

4) Click to Programs tab, and then click the Make default button if it is not grayed out.

5) Click to Advanced tab, click Restore advanced settings button in the Settings area.

6) Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer settings area and Click OK.

7) Click Apply, and then click OK.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:16 AM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Unfortunately I don't have any other web browsers (lesson learned!). So what I did in the end was the system restore. That helped, but what should I do other than downloading Firefox or Opera? What should I watch out for? It seems like one of the updates installed about a 1 1/2 wks ago was the problem. how can I find out which one?   Thanks for the help.
    By the way I tried resetting IE twice and nothing.
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:11 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Song Monday, May 4, 2009 3:15 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Hey Thanks for your help.
      Thought you may like to know what I found. After I restored my system to a previous date, my internet explorer worked. But the minutes I shut down the computer it started to install a total of 11 updates. once it finished I started the computer again. And guess what. The IE went back to not connecting to the internet. This morning I looked up on how to find the latest updates and started to remove one by one. Only the ones that pertained to IE. After each removal I check to see if there was any connection issues. Found that it was still having problems until I removed update KB963027 ( Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista x64-based Systems ) . Tried to connect and bam I was on the internet. I shut down the computer it installed 3 updates. I started the computer once more, tried the internet and no connection was possible. I went in and removed the same update that seemed to have made a difference (KB963027) . I am back on the web.
       My conclusion is that this update may need me to adjust something or not install it at all in order to be able to surf the web. I just have no idea of what would have to be adjusted. So for now I'm going ensure that it does not get installed again.
       I have another question. It more or less ties into this previous problem. As you know I had no other web browser installed on my laptop. So as soon as I was able to, I downloaded FireFox 3. The problem with that is... I am unable to connect to the web. I downloaded Safari and was unable to connect also. Should I start another thread or should I stay with this one?  Thanks Again for your help.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:24 PM