Backed up files RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore files backed up to an external hard drive but can`t seem to unzip them, why?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:32 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Bonnie,

You can download WinRAR from the following site:

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Bonnie,

If its a simple Zip file then you can use windows to extract the data from the compressed folder but if the compressed archive is a .rar file then you will have to install winrar.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:00 PM

All replies

• Did you use windows backup or did you just zip your files and move them to the external drive.

Monday, June 16, 2008 1:38 AM
  • It would be useful to know what kind of error the system gives you back. i just hope your files are not corrupted!

webmaster of www.webtlk.com

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:04 AM
  •  

Hi Bonnie,

Before going further, please help confirm the following points:

1.    How did you backup these files, using Windows Easy Transfer or via Backup and Restore Center?

2.    What files did you backup?

3.    What are the file extensions of these files on your external hard drive?

4.    Have you installed file unzip tools such as WinRAR?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:59 AM
  •  

Hi Bonnie,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:45 AM
  • My 15yr old son backed up my files on a HP Personal Media Drive.  He backup some misellanious files along with some pictures.  I just want my pictures back.  I have not installed any kind of programs to unzip my files.  How do I install the WinRAR?

Sorry for the delay in answering.  Thanks Bonnie

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 11:45 PM
  •  

Hi Bonnie,

You can download WinRAR from the following site:

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Bonnie,

If its a simple Zip file then you can use windows to extract the data from the compressed folder but if the compressed archive is a .rar file then you will have to install winrar.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 3:00 PM