WSUS MMC Timing Out RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently experiencing an issue with a client's WSUS installation where the MMC will never load any portion of the console. Every attempt to navigate the console results in the console producing the following error:

• The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.
            ○ Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service
            ○ System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out
            ○ Source
            ○ System.Web.Services
            ○ Stack Trace:
            ○    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
            ○    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
            ○    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(Int32 updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState, Int32 propertiesToGet)
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, UpdateScope updatesToInclude, ComputerTargetScope computersToInclude, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetReplicaStatus(UpdateSources updateSources)
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Common.CachedUpdateServerStatus.GetFreshObjectForCache()
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.GetFromCache()
            ○    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.ServerSummaryPage.backgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

The bullets are from me copying the log into OneNote. When the error is created, the Update Services mmc states the following:

Error: Connection Error
    An error occurred trying to connect the WSUS server. This error can happen for a number of reasons. Check the connectivity with the server. please contact your network administrator if the problem persists.

I am given the option of copying the error to the clipboard or "reset server node." Clicking Reset Server Node will produce the same error in about 30s when the MMC times out again.

I have tried running the cleanup wizard, the sqlcmd script (WsusDBMaintenance.sql), rebooting, and restarting the following services:

○ Update Services
            ○ IIS Admin
            ○ MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE

none of the proposed resolutions fixed the issue. I have been able to fix the issue on other client servers by removing the server role, rebooting, and adding it back. This is unfortunately, a very temporary fix as it will occur again in a few months. What can I do to prevent the issue in the future as it doesn't seem like any of the typically suggested solutions are resolving my issue. Ideas?

I should note that defragmenting the disk isn't really an issue because this is a Virtual server hosted in a ProxMox environment.
    Friday, February 6, 2015 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Wil Capps,

Sorry for my delay.

-->The portion you mentioned however, I had not tried. I set the service to allow for desktop interaction. Is it possible this requires a reboot of the server?

Please navigate to that service and uncheck Allow service to interact with desktop, then you just need to perform the iisreset and monitor the result.

By the way, did you install any third-party security application on the server recently? Please temporarily disable third-party security application and check if this issue still exist.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Sunday, February 22, 2015 4:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:30 AM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Also look for WSUS Application Cache under :

C:\Documents and Settings\<user profile>\application data\microsoft\mmc , if you are able to locate it , delete the same and launch the console again. See if it works.

Assign Full Control for the Network Service on the following folders:

%windir\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>\Temporary ASP.NET Files
    %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>\CONFIG
    %windir%\Temp
    C:\temp
    C:\WSUS\WSUSContent
    C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices

Binu Kumar - MCP, MCITP, MCTS , MBA - IT , Director Aarbin Technology Pvt Ltd - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Binu Kumar Aarbin Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:18 PM Spelling
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:17 PM

All replies

• Check the permission of

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

make sure Network Service has Full Control

Also on on SUDB.mdf and SUSDB.ldf

Binu Kumar - MCP, MCITP, MCTS , MBA - IT , Director Aarbin Technology Pvt Ltd - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, February 9, 2015 9:41 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Hi Wil Capps,

Just addition, please check if WWW Publishing service was configured to allow interaction with the desktop. If configured, please uncheck Allow service to interact with desktop and monitor the result. For more details, please refer to "Get error accessing WSUS 3.0 servers from the WSUS administration console because the WWW Publishing service is configured to allow interaction with the desktop" section in following article.

Issues with the WSUS 3.0 Administration Console

Meanwhile, please also refer to follwoing article and check if can help you.

WSUS: Console fails to connect with "The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API" error

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 9, 2015 9:44 AM
  • Check the permission of

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

make sure Network Service has Full Control

Also on on SUDB.mdf and SUSDB.ldf

I tried this, the permissions were not set on the default user so I adjusted them to include Network Service. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue.

Monday, February 9, 2015 7:18 PM
  • Hi Wil Capps,

Just addition, please check if WWW Publishing service was configured to allow interaction with the desktop. If configured, please uncheck Allow service to interact with desktop and monitor the result. For more details, please refer to "Get error accessing WSUS 3.0 servers from the WSUS administration console because the WWW Publishing service is configured to allow interaction with the desktop" section in following article.

Issues with the WSUS 3.0 Administration Console

Meanwhile, please also refer to follwoing article and check if can help you.

WSUS: Console fails to connect with "The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API" error

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

I was able to confirm most of the things in that list, I have already tried. The portion you mentioned however, I had not tried. I set the service to allow for desktop interaction. Is it possible this requires a reboot of the server? I performed the iisreset and still did not see a recovery.
    Monday, February 9, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Hi Wil Capps,

Sorry for my delay.

-->The portion you mentioned however, I had not tried. I set the service to allow for desktop interaction. Is it possible this requires a reboot of the server?

Please navigate to that service and uncheck Allow service to interact with desktop, then you just need to perform the iisreset and monitor the result.

By the way, did you install any third-party security application on the server recently? Please temporarily disable third-party security application and check if this issue still exist.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Also look for WSUS Application Cache under :

C:\Documents and Settings\<user profile>\application data\microsoft\mmc , if you are able to locate it , delete the same and launch the console again. See if it works.

Assign Full Control for the Network Service on the following folders:

%windir\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>\Temporary ASP.NET Files
    %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>\CONFIG
    %windir%\Temp
    C:\temp
    C:\WSUS\WSUSContent
    C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices

• Edited by Binu Kumar Aarbin Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:18 PM Spelling
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:17 PM