none
Error while upgrading to Windows 10

Question

• I am getting an error while upgrading to Windows 10. This has happened on 2 different computers, several times each, using different versions of the update assistant. Windows 7 pro is installed and activated on both. Is the update assistant broken? I haven't seen anyone else with this same issue yet.

I have tried running this from a clean install from two different known working media locations. (USB and Server Deployment)

I have tried running SFC, which found errors but was unable to repair them, and I have attempted to run dism, which fails every time. 

I have also attempted to locate, register, and install this .dll, but I have not had any success. It is supposed to be part of a different package, but for some reason it is not working, and cannot be downloaded.

This is the error.

---------------------------
    Windows10UpgraderApp.exe - System Error
    The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. 
    OK   

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 8:11 PM

All replies

• Found this post searching for this message...we are trying to upgrade a PC today and getting the same message.  Tried different upgrade program versions also.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:20 PM
  • I am getting an error while upgrading to Windows 10. This has happened on 2 different computers, several times each, using different versions of the update assistant. Windows 7 pro is installed and activated on both. Is the update assistant broken? I haven't seen anyone else with this same issue yet.

I have tried running this from a clean install from two different known working media locations. (USB and Server Deployment)

I have tried running SFC, which found errors but was unable to repair them, and I have attempted to run dism, which fails every time. 

I have also attempted to locate, register, and install this .dll, but I have not had any success. It is supposed to be part of a different package, but for some reason it is not working, and cannot be downloaded.

This is the error.

Windows10UpgraderApp.exe - System Error
    The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. 
    OK   

Same issue here.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:45 PM
  • Same issue here. Seems to be related to an update to the .exe in the past couple of days.  Seems to be looking for Windows 8 system as that .dll is a Windows 8 .dll file.  There seems to be a work around if you have upgraded a previous system, but since this is a computer for my mother who actually needs to the accessibility features, i do not have access to another system.
    • Proposed as answer by LunaWarRaven Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:58 PM
  • Let's evaluate the computer environment.

Run this administrator command prompt command to collect logs for troubleshooting.

It will automatically place the logs on the desktop:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Use English as the default language:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Use one drive or drop box to post share links into the thread:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:02 PM
  • Same issue. Ran CMD as requested. Here is the link to the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f0znlfdi5io8irz/AADolNKWcBtjbZHWXIxkIppfa?dl=0
    • Proposed as answer by RexMcLess Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:05 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by RexMcLess Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:05 AM
    • Proposed as answer by AlinNYC Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:50 PM
  • Exactly the same problem here.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:31 PM
  • wow i'm dealing with the exact same thing right now. glad i didn't wipe the computer. must be something wrong with the installer. 
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:41 PM
  • Same exact issue for me as well.
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:44 PM
  • Same issue here too. It's a party now!
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:50 PM
  • Same here. Been working on trying to fix it all day on two different computers.

Any possibility someone could zip a copy of the old installation files and post it online somewhere?

• Edited by paradoxfox Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 11:53 PM
  • Michelle Moore,

Lower in this post are some  problems noted in the logs.

Perform the following steps:

1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

2) sfc /scannow

3) chkdsk /x /f /r

This may take many hours so plan to run overnight.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /f /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type: y

reboot

To find the chkdsk report in the event viewer and post into the thread use the information in this link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

4) Run HD Tune (free edition)

Post into the thread using one drive or drop box share links images for each:

Health

Benchmark

Full error scan

5) View / use these links as needed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2714434/description-of-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

6) Download and install:  https://www.voidtools.com/

7) Look for the Panther logs (by default they are hidden)

8) Post into the thread any of these using one drive or drop box share links:

C:\Windows\Panther
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    BlueBox.log
    Event logs (*.evtx)
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx

9) Open disk management > widen the column for volume and for services so that all of the words/letters in each row are not cut off > post an image into the thread using one drive or drop box

10) it may be necessary to create your own thread depending on the complexity of the upgrade problems.

Event[7453]:
      Log Name: System
      Source: Disk
      Date: 2017-06-16T16:33:28.205
      Event ID: 11
      Task: N/A
      Level: Error
      Opcode: N/A
      Keyword: Classic
      User: N/A
      User Name: N/A
      Computer: ValuedCustomer
      Description: 
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR2.

Event[10523]:
      Source: Application Popup
      Date: 2017-06-27T10:43:35.000
      Event ID: 26
      Level: Information
      Description: 
    Application popup: Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low : Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help. 

Event[59078]:
      Date: 2017-12-19T14:03:10.860
      Event ID: 51
      Level: Warning
      Description: 
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

Event[59078]:
      Description: 
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

Event[59079]:
      Description: 

Event[59080]:
      Description: 

Event[59081]:
      Date: 2017-12-19T14:03:10.861
      Description: 

Event[59082]:
      Description: 

Event[59083]:
      Description: 

Problem devices:

Standard PS/2 Keyboard ACPI\MSFT0001\0 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse ACPI\MSFT0003\0 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:04 AM
  • Let's evaluate the computer environment.

Run this administrator command prompt command to collect logs for troubleshooting.

It will automatically place the logs on the desktop:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

I ran the cmd, but seems I am unable to post the link to OneDrive until my account is verified?

With so many people having the same issue, it seems likely that the issue is with the installer.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:40 AM
  • I have a saved copy of the old installation files saved and an old copy of the upgrade assistant program. I copied the Windows10Upgrade directory to C: and the old upgrade assistant to C:, then clicked on it. The program doesn't use the old installation files but immediately downloads the new installation files instead, then verifies the download then yields the same error. "The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." This is a Windows 7 machine. The upgrade assistant is trying to use a dll from windows 8 kernel. api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll is from win 8. api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-0.dll is from win 7. If you just add api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll to windows 7 in the system32 directory other errors result.
    • Proposed as answer by armar Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:36 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:18 AM
  • Does anyone know a way to directly notify Microsoft of this problem?
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:24 AM
  • api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll is from win 8. api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-0.dll is from win 7. If you just add api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll to windows 7 in the system32 directory other errors result.

Can confirm the above statement. Trying to upgrade a machine to Win10 and getting this same issue, copied the dll over and got: "GetModuleFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:37 AM
  • Yeah that's fine I can run a chkdsk however, I doubt it will matter much since there are several people on the thread with the exact same issue. MS might want to continue troubleshooting their installer since this seems to be a recent and more than just me issue.

I'll run it and see what happens

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:46 AM
  • Yeah that's fine I can run a chkdsk however, I doubt it will matter much since there are several people on the thread with the exact same issue. MS might want to continue troubleshooting their installer since this seems to be a recent and more than just me issue.

I'll run it and see what happens

Checkdisk won't fix it, neither will DISM.

Source: me

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:56 AM
  • Same problem here...
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Replace C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll
    • Proposed as answer by RexMcLess Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:54 AM
  • This worked for me. 

Replace C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll

• Edited by darylrusso Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ferr3t Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:26 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:10 AM
  • That Worked Thanks...
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:49 AM
  • This worked for me. 

Replace C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll

Worked for me as well. Good looking out!

• Proposed as answer by wilspin Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:01 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:07 AM
  • you saved my life :) Thanks
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:12 AM
  • THANKS!

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:34 AM
  • Replace C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll
    Worked! 
    • Proposed as answer by wosully Sunday, January 14, 2018 3:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 6:04 AM
  • Faced the same problem when upgrading 5 different machines. Replacing the dll file with the one in system32 solved it. Thanks
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 6:48 AM
  • solved on my Win7 64bit, traditional chinese.

thank you all

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 6:50 AM
    This solution solved my problem, Thank you RexMcLess.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:45 AM
    I worked on this problem for 1 day and spotted this and worked for me, you're my lifesaver!

• Edited by Granzo Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:59 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:59 AM

Thanks Rex. This resolved the issue.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:13 AM

Worked for me!

Thanks RexMcLess!!!!

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:44 AM

Worked like a charm!
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:49 AM
  • wow i'm dealing with the exact same thing right now. glad i didn't wipe the computer. must be something wrong with the installer. 
    thinking so as well
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:56 AM
  • +1 you are a god, can't believe i had this problem and this thread was posted within the last 24 hours!
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:44 AM
  • THANKS!! Worked for me too.

• Edited by anon135792 Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:52 AM
  • This worked for me. 

Works!

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:54 AM
  • How do I get access to do so?
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:56 AM
  • Excellent Rex, works for me, how did you find it?
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Thank you a lot !!!!

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:26 PM
  • dude, hats off to you. How tf did you know that? Just trying to learn.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you.....   Working on the two laptops I was stumped on.....   Great...
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 1:55 PM

Your suggested fix worked like a charm. Thanks so very much RexMcLess. I really appreciate it.

-drajeck

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:12 PM
  • Thank you Rex, this fix-and only this fix-solved my issue as well.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:42 PM
  • Thank you RexMcLess!  Your fix worked and was so straight-forward and easy. Very much appreciated!

---Walter

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:43 PM

This was absolutely so spot on!!!

It just works... and found it too! Incredible

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share it with the community - Merry Christmas :):):):)

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Cleeeeeeeeean. Thank-you.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 4:09 PM

Looking at the list of happy replies above, Hero of the Month right here!!! Great job!

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Rex, you the man.  thanks!  How'd you come up with this?

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:47 PM
  • Thanks!  Waiting to see if this works out.  Reports are all positive, though.  You'd think someone at MS could somehow find a computer somewhere on their campus and try an updgrade from Win7 to Win10 when they change the download package  :) ?

Like others, I'm also curious how you figured this out
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:06 PM
    Can someone explain how to do this please? I'm not 100% sure what it means and don't want to F things up as have also been trying this all day and eve! thanks :)
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Nice catch Rex, solved my problem as well.
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:07 PM
    Can someone explain how to do this please? I'm not 100% sure what it means and don't want to F things up as have also been trying this all day and eve! thanks :)
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:08 PM
  • Close the installer.

Browse to your Windows\system32 folder and find the file wimgapi.dll. Select the file and copy this file by pressing CTRL+C (Copy).

Next, go into the windows10upgrade folder and press CTRL+V (paste).

Rerun the installer and everything's cool like a yeti eating frozen spaghetti 

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:14 PM
  • This worked for me:

• Proposed as answer by Mivso Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:29 PM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:29 PM
  • No worries, someone has explained, sorted! thanks :)
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 7:30 PM
  • Or just delete C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll
    • Proposed as answer by needlenight Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:29 PM
  • I was wondering whether that would work.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:57 PM
  • Or just delete C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll

only with elevated rights ;)

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:03 PM
  • Thanks everyone for getting this solved! 
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:29 PM
  • Thank you! This worked!!
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:35 PM
  • RexMcLess, you're the Man! I've been beating my head on this one all day. The dll swap works perfect! Just curious (as are others I would imagine) how you came up with that solution?

Thanks very much.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:38 PM
  • You, RexMcLess, are my hero today! Thank you! Worked like a charm!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:33 AM
  • Worked perfectly. Thanks!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:21 AM
  • Help me please, i dont understand what exactly im suppose to do with the "Replace C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll" :( please help me
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:00 AM
  • How do i swap the dll? what exactly do i do please help :(

Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:01 AM
  • I GOT IT THANK YOU SIR IT WORKS
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:05 AM
  • How the hell did you know that??? So Random.... Looking to learn. thanks!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:45 AM
  • THANK YOU!! This explanation helped me so much!

As a side note, I ran into a different problem later in the process  (became stuck checking for updates) and found this helpful:

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/windows-10-update-stuck-checking-for-updates.html

Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:09 AM

OMG THIS WORKS! You SIR are a credit to the human race, thank you!

And how embarrassing to Microsoft that with billions of dollars in revenue they still need volunteers such as yourself to find simple fixes for their stupid bugs because Microsoft has no clue.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:56 AM
  • RexMcLess You should be awarded the Employee of the Year award. Thank you for helping solve this issue.
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:53 AM
  • I had been doing a few of these recently and ran into this today as well and was like..  What?

Thanks for the tip, this was perfect!  Good job!

Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:39 AM
  • Well, that sort of works, got the file downloaded and checked, and a very long installation process and then an update (before i got control back) and then, boom!::

"Windows Could Not Configure One Or More System Components"

And on that one, I'm stuck.  I've searched the relevant boards, tried almost everything they suggested.  The last resort (the one I haven't done) is to do a clean install from an ISO file on a thumb drive.

The only problem with that (so far...) is that there doesn't seem to be a way to do the free Assistive Technologies upgrade to a new install, using just a Win7 key.

I am truly irritated having wasted literally days on these issues.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:30 AM
  • That's work !!!!  THANKS A LOT !!!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:54 AM
    1. Click Start.
    2. In the Start Search box, type cmd, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.
    3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 9:04 AM
    Thanks!! That was it!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:23 AM
  • Thanks SO much! Worked perfectly!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:29 AM

how do you say it,,, BINGO!

Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:25 AM
  • Top bombing! So glad I found this page! 

Have a lovely Christmas! x

Remember you are not a salmon

Thursday, December 21, 2017 12:21 PM

Dude!!

RexMcLess is a GOD!!!

This worked for me too...

For the less computer savvy... When he says "replace"... Follow the path to the System32 folder... find that "wimgapi.dll" file... copy it... then go to the "Windows10Upgrade" folder and paste it there.... It will give you options... You will want to REPLACE the one that is there... don't save both... and then restart your installer... Kudos to you again REX!!!

• Proposed as answer by nskindia Sunday, December 31, 2017 3:20 AM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:21 PM
    This worked for me as well! I was upgrading 12 computers at once and 3 of them had this DLL error, I even reinstalled windows 7 prof on one of them and did all the updates, still had this error. This fixed my problem, thanks!
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:03 PM
  • Where do you do this?
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Still no savvy
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:28 PM
  • How do you find this folder?
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:29 PM
  • I want to thank @RexMcLess for suggesting the fix! Many thanks, bud!

I also want to say that it is very discouraging and poor from Microsoft's point of view to always leave users in mess. Like literally nothing that Microsoft ever does, works 100%. There are too many bugs in windows 10 and office 2016 and Microsoft is just not doing enough. And to think they expect people to pay for a license to use their crap OS? like why would I ever want to buy an OS that is teaming with bugs that Microsoft is reluctant to fix. I found myself in many frustrating situations a little too often these days and I'm seriously considering moving my whole operation to LINUX. Smfh

Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Go to the drive that contains your windows folder , probably C:

Double click the Windows folder

Double click System32 folder

Find the wimgapi.dll file and rick click and select copy.

Close that folder down and then find your Windows10upgrade folder, probably c: again

Double click on that folder.

Then right mouse click and select paste.

You'll then be asked if you wish to replace the wimgapi.dll file with the new one.

Select yes. . and it should replace the file for you.

Close the folders down, restart the upgrade assistant and all should now be working.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:58 PM
  • How do you go about replacing it to C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll?
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:54 PM
  • copy "C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll" "C:\Windows10Upgrade\"
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:23 PM

THis worked for me as well.

Thank you so much!

Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:48 PM
  • Thanks so much.  It worked for me too.

I really appreciate the help.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:14 PM
  • please do not post a run chkdsk ever.

obviously you dont know anything about IT.

this stopped working with xp.

such a waste of a reply

Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:43 PM
    this worked thanks RexMcLess
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:49 PM

This one worked for me from Win 7.

• Edited by EricShumEric Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:23 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:20 PM
  • THANK YOU!!!! This worked
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 11:40 PM
  • awesome solution which WORKS!!!!

I almost threw that one PC from window, lost half a day with this problem.

THANKS!!!

Friday, December 22, 2017 12:08 AM
  • And so it continues (apparently I'm not smart enough to just give up).

It occurred to me I could just first do a new install of Windows 7, and then update THAT to Windows 10.  Got out a Win7 install disk I had, it installed right off without too much drama (had to "clean" an SD drive I was installing to, when Win7 said it couldn't find it).  And all ready to update to 10 and...... now the wifi adaptor won't work.  It apparently needs some drivers,  so I go to Dell's site (using another computer of course) to get Wifi drivers for the laptop I'm trying to get going.  And there appear to be scads of different drivers (I guess for the various adaptors they MIGHT have used in that laptop?).    So I try to download those, but dell wants to do a system scan of the laptop (the one I'm trying to download with).  Well, that makes no sense at all, and I can't seem to get it to let me download the drivers I've selected.

Then, I noticed a link where I can get a Dell tool that will download the original drive image from when the laptop was new.  WOOOWEE...

Well, uh.  No.  After a nearly 4 hour download, it tells me that the download appears to be corrupt, click here to retry again....  And now I'm an hour into yet another 4hr estimated download.  I have little faith that this will work, either, at this point.  So I spend the time venting at the absurd hoops Microsoft (and apparently Dell) make us jump through to do things they tell us are "simple".

Thanks for listening, bartender -- another beer!

• Edited by bwasalo Friday, December 22, 2017 12:22 AM
    Friday, December 22, 2017 12:20 AM
  • Thank you very, very much for your help. This solved the problem.

All the best.

Friday, December 22, 2017 1:05 AM

Thank you very, very much for your help. This solution solved the problem of the error "api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll" file missing that was blocking the upgrade from windows 7, SP1 to Windows 10.

All the best for you.

Friday, December 22, 2017 1:10 AM
  • Yes, it looks like this is what is required to do, to upgrade a Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10, before this 31 December. ;)

Regards.

"Replace C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll"
    • Edited by FrankDuke Friday, December 22, 2017 6:34 AM Quote
    Friday, December 22, 2017 6:13 AM
  • This worked for me also. Thank you
    Friday, December 22, 2017 10:17 AM
  • Thank you very much!!! You saved my life!!
    Friday, December 22, 2017 10:50 AM
  • Amazing!

Best regards from Brazil!!!!!!!!!! You've got a FAN here :-)

Friday, December 22, 2017 12:49 PM

WORKED GREAT!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Friday, December 22, 2017 2:01 PM
  • Thanks everyone for this solution, it worked!

A nice early Christmas present!

Friday, December 22, 2017 4:28 PM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Getting ready to upgrade about 10 PCs! The majority of them gave me this error! :-)
    Friday, December 22, 2017 8:51 PM
  • This works for me! Thank you!!
    • Proposed as answer by nikolo98 Saturday, December 23, 2017 4:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by nikolo98 Saturday, December 23, 2017 4:30 AM
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 4:29 AM
    This needs to be marked as the answer! Thank you  so much! 
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:28 AM
  • OP! Please mark RexMcLess' answer as the correct answer so others can find it easily!! :)
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:32 AM
  • thanks alot man
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:41 AM

Perfect, thanks a lot
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 3:22 PM
  • This worked for me, Thank you. Some great detective work there to figure this out.
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 4:57 PM

Worked for me. Thank You.

Scott

Saturday, December 23, 2017 5:26 PM
  • It works THANX A LOT.
    Saturday, December 23, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Thank you, worked for me as well.
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:10 PM
  • Worked for me, spent 2 days trying to get this to work.  I did over 50 previous upgrades over the year, this was the only time I had an issue.  Thanks Rex
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 2:57 PM
  • Thank you RexMcLess!  You made my year, and probably next year too. 
    Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:46 PM

Thank you.  That worked for me.  This is the second system in 3 days. 
    Monday, December 25, 2017 1:56 AM
  • This one worked for me, too! Thanks!!
    Monday, December 25, 2017 9:41 PM
  • Awesome man!

That saved me :D

Monday, December 25, 2017 9:47 PM

Thanks so much RexMcLess, this also worked for me, but one other question...if I ever need to do a factory reset of my computer which will put it back to Win 7 prior to the upgrade, how can I go about re-upgrading it back to Win 10 after December 31?  Is there a license key for Windows 10 I should look for on my new upgrade?  Thanks for any help you might be able to offer, or anyone else too that might know

• Edited by Defensewhiz Tuesday, December 26, 2017 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 6:50 AM
  • worked for me..thanks

• Edited by flipdascrip Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:27 PM
  • Rex for President
    Tuesday, December 26, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Replace C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll

it should clear the error

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:41 AM
  • This worked for me. 

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:40 PM
  • Where exactly do we replace this?  I'm still a novice here.  Someone help!
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:36 AM
  • go to  C:\Windows\System32

find wimgapi.dll and copy it 

Then go to C:\Windows10Upgrade  and paste it 

when prompted select copy and replace

Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:51 AM
  • awesome; this worked.
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Hi.

After an upgrade from win 7 to win 10 you will have a digital licence for windows 10 which is tied to your hardware.if you need to reinstall windows 10 at any time i would suggest downloading windows 10 from microsoft to a dvd or usb.then you can format your pc/laptop by booting from dvd or usb.when prompted by setup to input a key just skip it as you will have a digital licence which will be recognized by the windows server when you go online!

Thursday, December 28, 2017 11:23 AM
  • Thanks
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:07 PM
  • Microsoft should hire you!

Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:07 PM
  • Hi-A little comfused-do I remove Wind 10 and put in 32-or remove 32 and put in win 10-?
    I know where they are-thanks!! Albert 
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:45 PM
  • This is awesome. I just read this post today and was able to fix my problem right away. Thanks.

Lonnie Johnson

Thursday, December 28, 2017 8:48 PM

THNX A MILLION !

WORKED ON 3 SYSTEMS I COULD UPGRADE LAST MINUTE

Friday, December 29, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Brilliant!  Worked for me as well.

Friday, December 29, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Just ran into the same issue, after the downloaded data got validated I got the error.

Luckily almost immediately found your solution. Copy, click 'Try again', 2nd validation and installation is already at 43%

Thanks!

Friday, December 29, 2017 1:03 PM
    excellent, worked like a charm!
    Friday, December 29, 2017 7:17 PM
  • You are great RexMcLess! It solved the problem spot on.

I was stuck here since yesterday. I just replaced that .dll and the errors vanished.

Saturday, December 30, 2017 1:23 AM
  • Rex thank you. Your solution worked for me.
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Thanks for the info this worked right away. 
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 6:08 PM

Was trying to get this done before the end of 2017 cut off, and had this problem... you sir are the end of a leg.

Thank you.

Saturday, December 30, 2017 6:09 PM
  • Hi.

After an upgrade from win 7 to win 10 you will have a digital licence for windows 10 which is tied to your hardware.if you need to reinstall windows 10 at any time i would suggest downloading windows 10 from microsoft to a dvd or usb.then you can format your pc/laptop by booting from dvd or usb.when prompted by setup to input a key just skip it as you will have a digital licence which will be recognized by the windows server when you go online!

Hey Robertswood, I totally understand what you're saying, but not totally understanding how to download Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB.  I have the exe file link saved already to a USB, but I am guessing after 12/31/17, that exe file will not work.  Where would I obtain a copy of Windows 10 to load onto a USB should I need to factory reset my PC and laptop back to factory settings, both of which will revert back to Windows 7?  Thanks for any help you can give on that!  :D

• Edited by Defensewhiz Saturday, December 30, 2017 9:58 PM
    Saturday, December 30, 2017 9:57 PM
  • Thanks Rex, I am 62 yrs old and unfortunately not a Ph.D, so you got me past that hurdle but now the getting Updates, checking for updates is stuck at 20%. What do I do, son?

Sunday, December 31, 2017 3:33 AM
  • Thank you RexMcLess for this fix. Helping my friend upgrade to Win10 hit the buffers, and I can't believe how this worked like a charm.  I confess I had to look further down to find the easier instructions someone else posted later, as I would never have worked out the 'copy and paste' method. How you figured this out is beyond me.  Well done!

Sunday, December 31, 2017 11:11 AM
  • Try the following, worked for me:

Sunday, December 31, 2017 9:26 PM
  • How do you do this???
    Monday, January 01, 2018 4:38 PM
  • How do you do this???
    Monday, January 01, 2018 7:53 PM
  • Brilliant! Worked like a charm. Thanks, Rex, for the post.
    Monday, January 01, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Thanks,  This worked for me.  :)

• Edited by joeXcel Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:14 AM
  • Just copy the wimgapi.dll from c:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll to c:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dl

Thank you , Rex. This worked for me, even though I had to wait until after the deadline (jan 2) to install it--I had downloaded Win 10 and tried everything else to install it before that. I saved the original .dll win 10 file to desktop. Will I ever need it? Thank you for a response please. i' am neophyte and know nothing about these .dll files .

That is I first completely removed by cut and paste the original wimgapi.dll file from the windows 10 folder to my desktop before I copied the win 7/system32 wimgapi.dll file to the windows 10 folder. Now I'm thinking this may not have been a good move, since replacing seems to leave the original in the folder with a copy name. My windows 10 seems much more resource heavy in terms of cpu especially and memory than win 7. Should I copy the original with a new 'copy name' into installed my Windows 10? If so, where and what exact name should I give it?

Later: After a some use and a couple shutdowns/restarts Win 10 seems to be working better. Still I'm nagged by what I did.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 5:34 PM
  • Thank you !!!!!
    Thursday, January 04, 2018 7:10 PM
  • Awesome! Thanks, worked for me!
    Tuesday, January 09, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Thanx sooooo much! Worked for me! Greetings from Serbia!
    • Proposed as answer by GeekPros Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by GeekPros Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:33 PM
    Tuesday, January 09, 2018 11:07 PM
  • Glad this worked for me too.  When I saw that chkdsk post I knew immediately that guy was clue-less.  Thanks for the solution Rex! 

After you get the .dll copied to the c:\windows10upgrade folder you can then just execute the upgrade right in that folder.  If you re-run the windows 10 upgrade download it may overwrite the .dll - I have not tested that.

***  My Ckkdsk Rant you can ignore if you like ***

Yes, don't ever run Chkdsk unless you have your data backed up.  I won't run it ever for anything.  I don't think in all my years of forum reads that I've ever seen anything solved by that.  It's a cop out.  They are trying to say your file system or hard drive is failing.

I know someone who lost 20 years of data due to that stupid program fixing (I mean destroying) all their data.  I could have recovered the data until that stupid chkdsk program ran and killed everything.  I'm sure you can look up endless horror stories about that product and it's need to be removed from existence - especially since it will run on it's own if Windows Decides your hard drive needs to be checked.  You can wake up in the morning to no more data... it's happened before and will again. 

There is this update message that can pop up anytime like 1am and will auto run within 4 hours if you don't see it and postpone or address it.  Then on reboot your computer can run chkdsk and say goodbye to your data in the morning. 

So Glad this solution worked!

Thanks

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:46 PM
  • Fantastic RexMcLess!! Worked for me! Thanks a lot!
    Friday, January 12, 2018 1:05 AM