none
SBS 2011 backup fails: error code 2147942432 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using an SBS2011 and it has been running fine for more than a year. Backups have never been a problem. Recently though, there has developed an issue. The server console gives me a warning that something is wrong with the backup. When I start the backup from the console, it crashes the console every time (console has to restart), and no backup is done. When I go to the Windows server backup, I can start my regular scheduled backup, but it fails with an error message

"error code 2147942432" and that "the file cannot be accessed becasue it is in use by another process". As far as I can tell, the only thing that changed is that I activated IIS7 for an intranet (accessible from the outside) and I istalled "Dokuwiki".

I did run a chkdsk and it ran through without reporting any issues.

Any suggestions?

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on the error message, it seems to mean that there is a *.VHD file was locked or opened by another program.

à I istalled "Dokuwiki".

From your description, it seems that you had installed a third-party application. If not a production environment, please perform a clean boot and check if this issue still exists. Or temporarily remove the third-party application and monitor the result.

If this issue still exists, please collect backup failure traces from %windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup, and then check if find some relevant clues.

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Monday, August 4, 2014 3:37 AM

All replies

• chkdsk to check disk...

Best,

Howtodo

Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

Based on the error message, it seems to mean that there is a *.VHD file was locked or opened by another program.

à I istalled "Dokuwiki".

From your description, it seems that you had installed a third-party application. If not a production environment, please perform a clean boot and check if this issue still exists. Or temporarily remove the third-party application and monitor the result.

If this issue still exists, please collect backup failure traces from %windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup, and then check if find some relevant clues.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Monday, August 4, 2014 3:37 AM
  • Hi Justin,

thanks for the suggestion. I was out for a week and just got back and saw your reply. How do I do a "clean boot"?

Monday, August 11, 2014 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

Please refer to following KB and check if help you to perform a clean boot to eliminate software conflicts. Then check if backup issue still exists.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

Would you please let me know curren situation of this issue? Just check if my suggestion can help you. If any update, please feel free to leyt me know.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:11 AM
  • After a bit of experimenting, I think the problem was a bad disk in my RAID backup array. the Raid system unfortunately did not report this as a bad disk, and only by trying a few things and replacing one disk did I get it to work again. Thanks for all your help.

Friday, August 29, 2014 8:58 PM