none
DPM service not running Event ID 948 999 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are running DPM 2010 on Server 2008R2, yesterday after a restart we noticed all backup jobs are not running. when we try to open the Console it reports unable to connect to Server ID 948, Verify that the DPM service is running. All DPM services have stopped and will not start, there is also an Event ID 999.

Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this further? The SQL services seem to be running correctly, and I also checked under local security policy to confirm the .\Microsoft$dpm$acct account is allowed to log on as a service. How can we find out why the services dont start?

Regards

Mark

The DPM service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

-----------------------

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'DPMAMService'.  Restart the DPM process 'DPMAMService'.

Problem Details:

<FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>20/03/2013 10:00:58</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>COMException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007041D)</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007041D): The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007041D)

Server stack trace:

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.CProxyUtils.HandleErrors(Int32 hr, tagSAFEARRAY* exceptionResult)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Engine.EngineServicesProxy.CheckForPendingReboot()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EngineProxyWrapper.EngineServiceProxyWrapper.CheckForPendingReboot()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EngineProxyWrapper.EngineServiceProxyWrapper.ConnectAsAdmin(String dpmServerName, AsyncOperation asyncOperation)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EngineProxyWrapper.EngineServiceProxyWrapper.GetInstance(String dpmServerName, AsyncOperation asyncOperation)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.get_Proxy()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.ReadRegistryKeyOnDPMServer(String registryKeyPath, String registryKeyName, RegistryValueKind registryValueKind)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]&amp; outArgs)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData&amp; msgData)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.ReadRegistryKeyAsync.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.ReadRegistryKey(String registryKeyPath, String registryKeyName, RegistryValueKind registryValueKind)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.InitializeIgnorableSqlErrorNumbersList()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServer.GetDpmServerObject(String serverName, AsyncOperation asyncOperation, DpmServerScope dpmServerScope)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.OMCommon.DpmServerFactory.GetServer(String serverName, AsyncOperation asyncOperation, DpmServerScope dpmServerScope)

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.AutoHeal.AutoHeal.DpmStarted()

at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EngineUICommon.DpmThreadPool.Function(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)

at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:27 AM

Answers

• Yes I saw that link, BUT when I try to logon to SQL Manager Studio I'm unable to authenticate so can't run the query? Since we use this DPM to backup our Exchange platform and the exchange log files are stacking up very quickly we decided to open a support ticket with MS. Initially they couldn't figure out what was wrong so asked me to collect some additional logs and run their diag tools and upload the results. BUT the MS diag tools either crashed or didn't run - after some investigation i found this link which i followed (http ://msexchangeguru.com/2011/12/22/errors-in-running-msdt-a-k-a-microsoft-support-diagonostics-tool-on-a-windows-2008-r2/) and this resolved the MSDT problem. shortly after i noticed the DPM service is running and backup jobs are working!

So either the MSDT diag tool reset something - unlikely, OR modification of the winhttp via netsh to include our proxy server settings resolved the issue? I'm not sure, but MS have the logs and diag files so hopefully they can analyse and tell me what went wrong and fingers crossed the problem is solved...

Mark

Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:27 PM

All replies

• Did you checked this?

(From Technet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff934577.aspx)

Rerun the DPMSync –Sync Command

1. On the DPM server, click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server 2008, and then click SQL Manager Management Studio.
    2. In the Connect to Server dialog box, in the Server name box, type the computer name and the name of the instance of SQL Server used for the DPM database in the following format, ComputerName\InstanceName.
    3. In SQL Manager Management Studio, expand Databases, right-click DPMDB, and then click New Query.
    4. In the SQLQuery pane, type the following, and then click Execute.
      Select * from Tbl_dls_globalsetting where PropertyName='DBRecovery'      
    1. If the PropertyValue returned is 1, a DPMSync -Sync operation ended or was canceled before it was completed. Rerun DPMSync –Sync, let the operation finish completely, and then try to open DPM Administrator Console again.

Veeam

Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:59 AM
  • Yes I saw that link, BUT when I try to logon to SQL Manager Studio I'm unable to authenticate so can't run the query? Since we use this DPM to backup our Exchange platform and the exchange log files are stacking up very quickly we decided to open a support ticket with MS. Initially they couldn't figure out what was wrong so asked me to collect some additional logs and run their diag tools and upload the results. BUT the MS diag tools either crashed or didn't run - after some investigation i found this link which i followed (http ://msexchangeguru.com/2011/12/22/errors-in-running-msdt-a-k-a-microsoft-support-diagonostics-tool-on-a-windows-2008-r2/) and this resolved the MSDT problem. shortly after i noticed the DPM service is running and backup jobs are working!

So either the MSDT diag tool reset something - unlikely, OR modification of the winhttp via netsh to include our proxy server settings resolved the issue? I'm not sure, but MS have the logs and diag files so hopefully they can analyse and tell me what went wrong and fingers crossed the problem is solved...

Mark

Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the update!

Let us know if support found out what the problem was.

Cheers

Mike

#1 Hyper-V Backup – award-winning solution from Veeam Download free

Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:30 PM
  • I just ran in to the same issue. Microsoft connected in and install their SDK so they can capture a debug and the DPM service started. 
    Friday, June 7, 2013 4:19 PM